How do you give away kittens?

We aquired a cat that has to be outside, (she has to be...that's not part of the debate or question) so we took her to be fixed. We were too late, she's already pregnant. So, when your cat gets pregnant and you have kittens that you need to give away, how do you go about it?

KaroGreenly

Asked by KaroGreenly at 5:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pets

• We foster a lot of kittens and it is hard to give them away but we can't keep them and I know they are going to good homes. Don't be afraid to bring them to the shelter if you have to, from my expirence kittens find great homes right away so they aren't ever put down. It's the adult cats that have a problem getting adopted. No kill shelters are great, but always full so the chances of getting into one is slim unless they are only taking kittens.

IMO shelter are better then craigs list because it's a little more paper work and money so I feel the people really want the kitten. Usually it's family adopting from shelters with their kids.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• put up a sign saying free kittens an when ppl ask let themm know what kind of kitten it is..an how to take care of it
    TOMBOI

Answer by TOMBOI at 5:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• lol my husband would say give them to me.... i can't turn down a animal in need.

you can try setting in the back of a parking lot with a sign saying free kittens, take them to a no kill shelter, or put a add in the paper for them.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 5:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Craigs List.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have heard to ask for a small fee, since this could discourage people who would take them to research facilities. I'd say give them only to people you know if you can. I got one of our cats from a want ad.

Answer by Bmat at 5:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• None of the no kill shelters are accepting animals...they're all full.

If you put them on Craigs List and don't ask for a "re-homing" fee, they will remove your add. I know people that it's happened to.

If anyone in my town took them, then I would most likely know the person (small town). But I like the idea of giving them to people that I know.

KaroGreenly

Comment by KaroGreenly (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You can put an ad in the paper and offer them with a rehoming fee. Ask questions, ask for a vet reference, and meet with them to see how you feel about them before just handing a kitten over. Some rescues can offer you some good advice on this as well, even if they cannot take the kittens.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The last time I fostered a litter of kittens, I had a hard time finding homes for them. I posted pics on facebook, poster at work, told friends and family about them, etc. I wanted to try people I knew first. When it started to take longer than expected, I put an ad on craigslist but felt a little apprehensive about it. I got some replies. When I casually asked for a little more information, many were never heard from again. Luckily, while sifting through the craigslist people, some friends and family ended up adopting them. My next option was going to turn them over to a local rescue but continue to foster them in my home. They were going to give them shots, neuter, and show them at Petsmart or Petco on the weekends.
    AzAngie

Answer by AzAngie at 6:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yup sign and or in the news paper and you could add a 10 gift car for incentive(SP). Good luck it can be hard to find homes for kittens they come a dime a dozon!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2010