Would you let the dentist put your 5 year old to sleep to fill a few cavities?

Kiwi is scared of getting her teeth filled. She flips out at a cleaning. She's had regular cleanings since she was 2 and has freaked out each time. They've tried filling in the office and so far have only gotten one done. She even bit the dentist's finger once!
They are wanting to put her to sleep and take care of them all at once. Seems like a good idea.
But, she has had two heart surgeries in March, and we are weary of putting her to sleep again. We just don't want to go through that, the waiting for her to wake up.
The first surgery was planned and it was hard for us, the second emergency and harder.
Any suggestions?
Are we overreacting? It scares us to think of her being put under a third time, but I don't want her teeth to rot out before she even looses them. All of them are baby teeth and I've heard that bad cavities in baby teeth can affect adult ones. The cavities are a side effect of the meds she was on.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• yes, as long as it was at the hospital with a cardiologist standing by.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No. My oldest son was completely freaked out by dentists, so when he needed a couple of fillings, they gave him laughing gas to calm him down, and I stayed with him to hold his hand. It calmed him and made him so he was fully awake but just didn't seem to care. It went really well.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes depending on how many and how deep absolutely. This can be painful and traumatic. Around five my daughter had a deformity in one back tooth, it was like a cavity but it just grew in that way. They dentist put her under but this was a large cavity that needed repair in the very back her mouth. Had she been awake they wouldn't have been able to fix it properly.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• As a former dental assistant I would be ok with my child being sedated to have procedures done, especially if other things were tried (oral sedation, N2O) and they did not work.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would, I have not had to do this but I know of someone who has and everything went well.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No. Unless they are adult teeth I wouldn't worry about it. Most dentists are not certified Anestiologists. It is way too dangerous especially if she has other health probs also.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think I need to clarify a bit:
    The dentist will do the work at the hospital, where the anesthesiologist would be there.
    We tried the laughing gas, she didn't like the mask and short of holding it on her face until it kicked it, it doesn't work on her.
    Kiwismommy19

Comment by Kiwismommy19 (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It depends on the level of anxiety. Yes, if my child was scared that bad, I would be all about sedation. I'm 35 and scared of the dentist. I would love to be knocked out and have all the dental work I need done in one setting.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2010