At what age is the right age??

OK, so my 11 year old who's gona be 12 in Aug. open herself an email and facebook account yesterday. Mind you she did it behind my back and expecting I wouldn't find out. Well, I'm on FB a lot and saw her request to be friends and her messages to/frm with my niece. She asks her not to tell me or else she was gona be in big trouble.

Well, I went in her room, took the LP and cell phone away and told her she was grounded till the end of the month.

I know it's a bit extreme, but I feel she's way to young to have a FB, MySpace or emails. I've told her that all in due time, not to rush it.

Did I do right? I don't want to go back on my word, just trying to show her that she just needs to be her age and not rush things right now. You know what I mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• You did the right thing. She needed her stuff taken away for the lying and trying to get someone else to lie.
    Besides, it's what, the 26th or something? She won't even be grounded for a week.
    You did good!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Why would she request for you to be her friend if she knew you would get upset if you found out she had a facebook acct??? lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think you handled that perfectly mom... b/c she was trying to go behind your back... My 10yr old has a fb and myspace page to keep in touch with out of state family mostly. The only people on her page are family members that I approve and I am always sitting there with her while she navigates through her pages.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think you did right. She went behind your back. However, she might succeed next time she tries something and never come to you. I think you should have a discussion with her about why she did it and explain again why she's too young. Maybe she could have some limited access under your supervision. As long as she proves herself trustworthy, you could let her have more privileges as she gets older.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 5:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree and think you did the right thing! It scares me to think that my son will have access to all the junk on the internet in the future.. he's only 4 right now... and I will hold him off on things like facebook, etc when he gets older.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 5:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think you did the right thing. If My DD did that she'd be grounded for an entire month probably. And we'd be having a loooong talk about why it's not okay.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• YEAH for you! you did the right thing. I would keep her laptop and only let her on it if I was sitting right next to her. Just for lying she would get a months detention. Asking her cousin to lie for her, would be another week, sneaking the FB after you told her no, another week... Damn... she would loose all fun for the entire summer. Bummer D:

My son {11} has a FB account so he can talk to auntie and cousins that live far away. But he doesn't even know his password and I make sure he sits next to me while on it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If its your rule not to have a Facebook account, then yes, you did the right thing. Your house, your rules. Period! My nephews who are 9 & 11 have FB accounts, but they use that to connect w/ family and play the games and are ridgidly monitored by my sister and bil. Each family has their own rules and it is up to the parents to enforce them consistently!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think you should have talked to her and told her why you didn't want her on there and that if she did it again you'd take things from her but taking without warning wasn't right in my opinin

Answer by admckenzie at 7:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• She violated Facebooks terms of service. It's not even your rule she's breaking.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2010