They killed it :-(

So I went outside to get some herbs out of the little mini garden I have in my back yard. As I go outside I see a couple of the neighbor kids running out of my yard with tomatoe plants in tow. I go knock and their door to speak to the mom and she tells me if its outside its up for grabs and they will be enjoying fresh tomatoes on the lunch, then slams the door in my face :( I only moved in this December...
I dont know what to do. The old woman next to me said the same thing happened to her last year so she stopped gardening outside and got one of those topsy turvey plants.
Why do people act like this... my poor tomatoes :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• That isn't a lack of respect or just being rude, it is theft. Blatant, in your face theft and trespassing.

I had it happen once ~ in town ~ many years ago. I sprayed mine with juiced jalepenos (after picking most of the ripe stuff). It didn't happen again.

I'd call the cops though and report it. Whether or not you depend on your garden, it is yours. That 'mom' doesn't pay your rent/ mortgage or buy your food. What you grow is yours ~ it doesn't belong to her (or her kids) and it isn't up for grabs because it it outside. I'd have stood right there on her porch and called the cops. I'd also set up a camera (even a fake one) and make it a point to tell her that the next time her kids came to trespass they would be on video ... for the cops, and the magistrate.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would call the police... Normally I wouldn't for something like this, but that MOTHER needs to be taught a lesson!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Want to know what I would do? Throw "fresh" tomatos at her stupid house. a LOT of them. In the cover of darkness.
    (make sure you get really squishy ones)
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If you have a homeowners association or community covenants or something bring it up to the board. If not, call the police. Even though it isn't a very serious infraction, it is still stealing and if you let it go on you never know what will be next.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't blame it on the kids as much as I would on the parent! It seems like she's probably the one who taught her children that! I wouldn't want her to get away with it, but then again, I wouldn't want it happening again either. I hope you get the problem resolved! I hate thinking I could do something to 'get back' at someone, and then it backfires, I'm always afraid of that happening!
    tiffanyderr10

Answer by tiffanyderr10 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Wow, what is that mom teaching her kids. Thats pretty rude and disrespectful!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm so sorry! That is insanely rude and *not* neighborly. You could report them for stealing, but I don't know how seriously you'd be taken.

It sounds like your neighbor and mind deserve eachother. Lets set them up on a girl date, LOL.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 6:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Lack of respect is what they are taught being brought up and it continues down the line. The apple never falls far from the tree. Sorry to hear of your bad neighbor.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Was it not in your yard? Do you have apartments or something? I would make a complaint if you guys live in an apartment. The super needs to know about that. How disrespectul of the children & the mother...the apple sure does not fall far from the tree huh.....

I would not let that one go, i would make sure that lady knows i am mad!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Call the police, even if they won't consider it theft it's still vandalism of your property
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010