How do you feel about toy guns for little boys?

Personally I don't mind them. I figure they are going to see guns in cartoons and on the news and through friends anyways, so why try to shelter them from it? Being little boys they turn everything into a gun, so why not buy them and teach them how to use them properly and safely. My in-laws however think guns are the devil and get offended when they see our little boys playing with them. So I was just curious what's everyone elses feeling on them?

krystie-tina

Asked by krystie-tina at 6:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't have a problem with toy guns, but even with toy guns they are not allowed to point them at anyone else or say things like "I'm going to shoot you". I believe in teaching gun safety - I've been around guns all my life, along with my brothers and sister and none of us ever THOUGHT about touching our parents guns!

Answer by missanc at 7:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• the thing is, guns aren't TOYS...and if we give them to our sons as TOYS.....how are they supposed to take a real gun seriously later?
    I think when kids get a little older...like pre-teen that we should teach them how to use a gun properly and respectfully.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with them, some parents are just over protective helecoptor moms.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 6:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We don't have weapons for toys in our house personally but I don't have a problem with anyone else doing so. I've taught my son all about guns, knives, their effects, their true purpose and how they can be abused. I've always taught him how to use them so he knows exactly what not to do. If a child sees the trigger its the same as seeing a big red button hes going to wonder what that "button" does so we've explained what happens when you pull it. My dad owns a gun shop so I find it really important that he really understands weapons and that he should avoid them as a child because weapons are not a childs play thing they are for adults only.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 6:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have only let my son have ones that are blatantly water guns/pistols (brightly coloured). I don't want him thinking that a real gun is a toy and when we see shows that feature them I discuss the pain etc it causes and that it can make people go to sleep forever, so they can't do .,.. ever again. I felt the need to do that though because he is 3 and at around 2 he just assumed all guns were a source of fun. Especially because of cartoons etc.
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My son is grown now, but I will tell you my story. I was always against guns and violent toys. My son would make a gun or knife out of anything, in his imagination. It didn't matter if it were a stick for a knife or leggos for a gun. It's just my opinion but I dont think toy guns make violent men. My son grew up and is not a violent person, and he played with guns in his imagination a lot.
    MaryBethBest

Answer by MaryBethBest at 7:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't like them and my son doesn't watch any TV either BUT somehow he does the gun the action! I don't like violence in general anyway and that is what is usually associated with a gun. I would probably be more like your in laws.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We don't play with toy guns. And they aren't allowed to pretend that any of their toys or their fingers are a gun either. At this point i don't even allow water guns. DH is in the military so they hear plenty about guns even though i don't let them watch violent cartoons or the news.
    However, i do have a BB gun that we take down about once a month and use in a gun safety lesson. It's never loaded. But we go over how you never point a gun at a person. And we also role play what they should do if they find a gun or if their friends ever offer to show them their parents guns etc.
    As they get older and understand better exactly what guns are used for (a guns one and only purpose is to kill) then the gun rule will lift. But right now i don't feel that my 4 and 5 year old boy should think that guns are toys.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Since my husband is an officer, it is something that we can not avoid in our household. We have taught our son to respect guns. We have real guns in our house and we have toy guns. Our son knows the difference.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think water guns are fine. Perfectly harmless. My son loves them. Never would I give my son a realistic looking toy gun though.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010