Do you support Capitalism?

*Hoping most do!*

If so do you support the people who have chosen to boycott BP and affiliated brands; or do you take issue with their action?

Not asking if you are or are planning on also boycotting; just do you think it's right/ok for people to do so in order to voice their disapproval with the Gulf situation.

Why or Why not?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I support capitalism and I also support people's freedom to choose what they consume. I support free speech and if that equates to someone speaking out against BP's actions or personally boycotting the purchase of their products, or speaking out against the government's actions then those would be covered by that as well. Where I draw a line of support is when I am told that I cannot purchase a product for ideological reasons that aren't my own. I would take issue with protesters preventing me from purchasing BP products if I so desire (not that this is happening, just pointing out where my support of free speech ends).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes, I am a capitalist. And yes, I fully support a person's right to boycott any business for any reason, even if I disagree with them. Being part of a free market system means that the people get to choose with which companies they choose to spend their money, and which companies they won't do business with.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I just got back from the mall with my son. After $128 for 2 pair of shoes and $141 for some shorts, shirts and drawers, I would say I definitely support capitalism. I will not willingly boycott independent business owners because the name of their franchise has had this event. I didn't boycott Amoco in 1979 when they had the same problem (well almost the same - they had a huge spill that lasted 10 months in the Gulf). The franchise owners don't have anything to do with it, and they have to feed their families, pay their employees, and support the tax base of my area. Boycotting the independent owners is counter productive to economic recovery. It really doesn't hurt the corporate BP at all.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• NO way would I ever boycott. Boycotting hurts those you think you are trying to help.
    BP is loaded and has so many different companies around the world they can't go under totally.
    Think of all the Americans who would be losing jobs so some could have the satisfaction they though
    they got revenge on BP .
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have to say the first reply nailed it on the head for me.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No, I'd say I'm a socialist. I don't support the boycott though. It doesn't make any sense and won't plug the hole faster.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The franchise owners don't have anything to do with it, and they have to feed their families, pay their employees, and support the tax base of my area. Boycotting the independent owners is counter productive to economic recovery. It really doesn't hurt the corporate BP at all.
    ________
    I'm not disputing your personal POV; but I have questions.

Isn't that part of doing business?

Shouldn't these independent franchise owners done their home work or left BP far before this; considering that BP had over 700 some odd safety violations and paid out over 383 million in fines in the past 5 years vs the other companies at 8 & 1 safety violation?

Can't they simply 'jump ship' and choose to go with a different franchise if they are feeling the pinch of the boycott? And wouldn't that have more of a lasting impact on BP? Loss of franchise royalties?
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I do not like capitalism. It is what has killed this country. However, I know it's probably the only means of market we will have, so I make do with it. I much prefer the barter system though, and people living truly equally, with no class wars.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I can't say I totally support capitalism, but I do think it has its place. I don't think boycotting BP franchises is the best way to voice ones disapproval with the Gulf situation, but it's not my place to tell anyone else they can't/shouldn't boycott either.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010