Co-sleeping??

Why are people so dead set against putting things in the crib when they are babies for a suffocation hazard, when it's just the same thing to sleep with the baby? I'm not saying you should put things in the crib, just saying, how can you be against one thing and not the other when they are easily the same thing? I hear moms say all the time "co-sleeping is the best way to go" but at the same time they say "never put ANYTHING in your baby's crib when she's asleep!) I think a baby is more likely to suffocate from your body with no porous surface than a blanket. Isn't it hypocritical? These two things are both hazardous, are they not? You may hear more about crib deaths than mothers suffocating their babies in their sleep, but aren't they equally dangerous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Co-sleeping isn't always putting the baby in the bed with you. Co-sleeping is have the child in the room with you. I had my son in a bassinet right next to my for the first three months, then he was in a portable crib right next to me until he was 9 months old. He started sleeping thru the night at 5 weeks, but I felt better having him right there.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No it isn't hypocritical, because there is a safe way to cosleep and a safe way to put your baby in the crib. Safety first, no matter your choice.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My first baby co slept with us until he was nearly two. He was breastfed so it was easier for me and I liked having him there. I never found it dangerous. My second son has always been in a crib, because of his allergy he couldn't breastfeed, so it was easier this way. I moved both the kids in their room when Ryan was born. He has always had a blanket. He was born in December. what was I suppose to do let him freeze? I never understood how you can not put in a blanket.. Even with the heat on he would get chilly. So anyways.. I guess I'm against neither..
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• As a previous poster said, there are safe ways for a baby to sleep in a crib and there are safe ways to co-sleep. If you look up, "safe co-sleeping" it will tell you how to safely co-sleep with your baby such as using a firm mattress. If you look up "safe crib sleeping", one of the recomendations is to not put anything in the crib w/ your baby.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• the main study that suggested that co sleeping was dangerous made no distinction between breast feeding and bottle feeding babies. and there is a big difference! it is actually safer for breast feeding moms to co sleep than it is for bottle feeding babies to co sleep. also, if you remove being under the influence from co sleeping you will find it is far less "dangerous"
    back to your point...i don't know how many co sleeping moms would say don't put anything in the crib. for me, i co slept, and never really put my babies in cribs, until i had twins anyhow!
    how safe are the cribs anyhow? there have been sooo many recalls over the years!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The point is to create a safe sleep environment for the baby. If baby is in a crib they are alone. This is why you can't have anything in there with them. If you have baby in your bed with you then that must be safe as well (no cracks baby can fall into, no heavy comforters etc.). But when baby is in bed with you they are not alone. When a breastfeeding mom sleeps with their baby studies show she is very aware of where baby is at all times. Really good info at Why We Never Ask "Is it Safe for Infants to Sleep Alone?" Historical Origins of Scientific Bias In the Bed-sharing SIDS "Debate" by James J. McKenna Ph.D.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Sleeping alone with objects verses sleeping with a parent close by... Alone is always more dangerous.

Have you ever had a cat sleep in your bed or a small dog? And the darn thing made you so sore and uncomfortable bc it was taking up so much space and even in your deep sleep, you were some how aware of it and didn't roll over on it and crush it?

Well that's why moms don't roll over on their babies.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My kids have been both bottlefed and breastfed and I think the awareness I have for them when they cosleep is the same no matter how they eat. The reason people say don't put stuff in a crib is because in another room it may be too late by the time you hear them to get to them to move it. In your own bed with them right there it takes seconds. My son is 6 days old and he sleeps better with us than if I put him in his bassinet in our own room. He likes the closeness and will sleep 3-4 insted of 1-2 if he is in bed with us.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I do sometimes roll onto my cat or kick him when he's sleeping on our bed, and I love my cat. I only let the cat sleep with us because he is able to get away.

I agree that co-sleeping might pose a danger for the kid if the parent falls into a deep sleep or if the baby presses his face against a pillow. My sister-in-law knew better than to take the girls into her bed when they were babies because she's a VERY deep sleeper. But she did have a bassinet right next to their bed.

I think people rationalize taking the kid into bed with them it because it makes breastfeeding at night easier, and it's really cozy. :)

That said, sometimes I would let my son sleep in my arms at night when he was very young. It was because I was desperate to get some sleep - I'll admit that. But I could never sleep well because I was always worried about his safety. As soon as we could, I tried to get him used to sleeping in his crib (swaddled).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Co-sleeping could mean a number of different things. But if you are speaking of bed sharing. No it's is unlikely anything would happen to your baby whatsoever unless you are on drugs or alcohol. You actually help your baby by sleeping this close to them because of the carbon dioxide you are breathing out. It causes your baby to breathe better and more so to make up for it. I see nothing wrong with having one or two things or a blanket in the crib. My son has slept with a blanket since day one and we now co-sleep. But there is a big difference. SIDS can happen as well as suffocation with tham unattended in their beds surrounded by things.
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 10:45 AM on Jun. 27, 2010