Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

My husband might get deported what should I do?

My husband might get deported back to Argentina for something so absurd. We have a wonderful family made up of a 7 year old boy, 3 year old girl and a one year baby girl not to mention another baby on the way. My husband took in my two older children as his own and was planning to adopt them as soon as he became resident. We thought we were not going to have a problem when filling for his residency because he came to the US legally and has never committed a crime. Well we were wrong.
When my husband and I went to our interview with immigration my husband was asked "Have you ever claimed citizen" he answered "no" well that's what he thought because we later found out when his residency was denied that there were to i-9 forms from the same employer; one where he states resident, and one where citizen is marked for him via computer system with his signature. We were devastated one of our family dreams was crushed.

Answer Question

Asked by lizcyn at 7:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • Here is the problem if my husband is deported I will be a US Citizen left with my four children to care for because I can't follow him to Argentina do to the fact that my sons dad won't sign a passport for him. My son's dad won't give me custody. If they do deport my husband, the government is the one that's going to have to help me support my 4 kids with food stamps and money because they decided to deport my husband. My family is going through a tough time right now for something that my husband didn't even know he did, I feel like this is so unfair. My husband and I cry every night not knowing if tomorrow we're still going to be together not knowing if my children will lose their dad. We cry because we lost all of our money for the home we were planning to buy on lawyers. We are heartbroken all we want is to be a happy family.

    Comment by lizcyn (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • I don't have an answer for you but Ill say a prayer for you! Hugs!

    Answer by Brandi300 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • If you can, hire an immigration lawyer or at least see if you can get a consultation to see what possibilities he has.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 7:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • Immigration is tough at times. Can he reapply to come back?

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • I don't even know how horrible that would be. Is there an mbassy near you that could try and help you guys? I am so sorry you are going through this and while you are pregnant too!

    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • your husband can get a visa or passport, right?

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • Call your local senator, congressman,, and hire an immigration attorney,,,,some of them are now working pro-bono, or on an income based level,, every year my parents bring over a boy from Russia, this year he was denied a Visa to come,, a lawyer helped us get him here, it cost about $500,, not sure how much it will cost for him to stay, but do know that he will be able to stay in the US, until they decide what to do,, and hopefully that could drag out for years! Good luck!

    Answer by kimigogo at 7:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • Well we already went to about 6 lawyers they all say the same thing this is a huge crime which has no forgiveness and if he is deported he will never be able to come back. Some lawyers say this is a kiss of death but we are still trying to fight it because he didn't do it. The good thing is he can't get deported until we see a judge but they say the judge takes this claimes very seriously.

    Comment by lizcyn (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • Is this a mistake he made in filling out the form or a mistake his employer made? I'm sorry I'm a little confused.

    If the employer made the error surely an official letter from them stating such presented to the judge would solve the problem.

    Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • Go to the official immigration website there is a section that list lawyers who may help pro-bono I suggest calling them and seeing if they can help. here is the link:

    If your state is not listed I would suggest calling your local Bar association and asking for a list of immigration lawyers and call them all and ask if they will take you on as pro-bono.

    I am getting ready to start the process as well and if you ever need someone to vent to feel free to send me a PM.

    Answer by redhead-bedhead at 7:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.