My child has diarrhea, please help...

She will be 2 in August... This started Thursday... She had 6 bowel movements BUT only the 6th one was diarrhea like... Then yesterday she only had 2 bowel movements but they were both diarrhea like but not completely watery (if that makes since...) today she only had two the same way as yesterdays.. She hasn't vomited nor has she had fever.. She acts fine.. And she also hasn't had any shots to cause this diarrhea.. (and yes she is COMPLETELY up to date on her vaccinations...) Is there anything I should be worried about, she isn't dehydrated, she is tee teeing fine, same as usual... what do I need to do, do I need to take her to her pediatrician?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make sure she is well hydrated, offer water continuously.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If it's viral, you just need to wait it out. Is she eating and drinking fine? Give her some pedialyte just to make sure she's replenishing her electrolytes.
    Are her bowel movements sweet smelling at all?
    When in doubt, call the doctor - but if it's a virus, there won't be much they can do.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I say call the doctor if your really worried....could she have eaten something fatty, or too much sugar lately? Push the bananas to firm up her back end.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with QandA
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If you're worried, call her doctor just to be on the safe side. Kids can get dehydrated easily, without showing symptoms, so it's always a good idea to give them something like Pedialyte to help balance their electrolytes. Still, I'd call the doctor before I do anything.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it at all... probably just a little tummy bug. As long as the diarrhea isn't excessive and extremely watery and she is still drinking enough to keep up it's not a problem. Put butt paste on to protect her skin so she doesn't get a rash. You can give food to help bulk up the stool like banana's, cooked carrots, rice, breads, noodles, potatoes, apple sauce and yogurt.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It might be the heat getting to her. I know my son gets sick at his stomach when he gets too hot. It might just be a very mild virus too. If thats the case it will go away on its own in a few days. I would probably call the pedi on Monday if shes still sick and ask the nurse if she thinks you need an appt or not.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010