is it diaper rash??? Or something else??

Couples day ago my 15 months old baby has UTI and doctor put him on amoxicillin, he feel better but taking the antibiotic makes him have diarrhea and I would wash and change his diaper everytime he poop or pee. This afternoon when I try to change his diaper cause he pooping he start screaming and when I look at it, it bright red and it seems it hurting him. I put Destin on his bottom to help him feel better but how long is it before he feels better. Is there anything else I can do, I don't know is it diaper rash or something else?? I heard that taking antibiotic would cause yeast?? Please help I am desperate, as for right now he is not wearing any diaper .

hungluvphuong

Asked by hungluvphuong at 7:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put a thick past of vasaline and baking soda mixed together on his bottom or Sudocream
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Oh yea this can be painful. Keep changing his diaper often!!! Also, if possible let him air out. I know it might be hard with the diareha. If it last more than a couple days, call the doctor. They can prescribe you a diaper cream for yeast and trust me it works GREAT. When my son had a yeast diaper rash it was pretty much gone in 24 hours!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It's most likely cause from his diarhea. Since babies wear their waste it causes them to chaffe alot easier then adults. It's most likely that the waste and stomach fluids from his stool is causing him to have not only a rash, but an irritation burn. It's best to put desitin on it AND baby powder over top. This will help reduce the moisture to the desitin, which helps the desitin do its job. It should start clearing up by the next diaper change. But be completely gone by the end of the night. If it doesn't go away with that, then call the doctor. He might need a medicated cream.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would let him take a bath with baking soda in it, it helps a lot, and then let him air out... he is 15 months old, so he isn't constantly peeing.. that will help a lot.. make sure it is COMPLETELY dry and clean before putting on any diaper creams.. try different ones.. Desitin didn't work as well as butt paste for my boys.. but I am sure that will differ child to child.. try some different ones and let him air out!
    willswifey

Answer by willswifey at 8:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• vaseline and cornstarch should help clear him up.

The vaseline will lock out excess moisture that can make it worse and cornstarch will help heal it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• desitin and other creams never worked for my DD.. at least not as fast as vaseline and cornstarch. (most baby powder is made of cornstarch now because it works a lot better).

dr recommended.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You can soak him in the tub too with the cornstartch then let air dry, run around the house diaper free also... Work good for my girls...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2010