Kindergarten advice?

My son will be starting Kindergarten at the beginning of August and I am so nervous for him. Can you tell me what to expect from kindergarten? Also, what should we be working on now? I have been kind of relaxed this past few weeks but I know we need to get back on a routine and continue working on writing, letters, numbers, etc. Also, what are some good websites? Thanks in Advance!

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in

• My son is entering Kindergarten too and like you I'm really worried. I asked his teacher that he will have and she said to buy an egg timer and to have him sit still and give him a task to do for 15 mins. They're expected to be able to sit still for fifteen minutes and do worksheets, color or whatever. My son is very wiggly and talkative too and she said this will help him a lot. She also said that even though it sounds silly to have him get used to raising his hand if he has a question. I felt sort of ridiculous doing this with my son at first but it came in handy recently when swim classes started. She also said to get some books on starting school and to read them to him so he'll have an idea what to expect! Hope that helps!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Teacher here :)

My first word of advice is to NOT let your worry show :) Put on an excited happy face for him, they really pick up on how a parent feels and that can really help with transition :)

The best website is www.starfall.com

I would make sure he works on his name...dont forget to write it with a capital first letter and the rest lower case. Some parents make the mistake of teaching all capital letters and that can really be hard to re-learn for a little one :)

He will be fine, no reason to push him too hard, if he seems like a bright little booger then just relax and enjoy your sons first experience with school :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Routine, waiting in line, waiting your turn, not interrupting, hand washing and letters, numbers, holding a pencil properly. There is a lot of persure on them little guys.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Wow! you sound like a great mom! It sounds like he will be well prepared to enter K. Trust me when I say many parents do not do anything with their kids to prepare them! As an educator, I would say you are right on track! My biggest advice is to continue activites that strenghten his hands. Sounds simple, but it will help in the long run. Playdough, scissor work, opening clothspins, and coloring with crayons. Here is a site with some K games!
    http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Online%20Games/online_games.htm

crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• As a former teacher, please don't worry. May I suggest that you talk about how exciting it will be for him to start school. He will get to meet new friends and if he's on the shy side and says he doesn't know how....tell him...just say "hi" to someone and tell them your name and ask them theirs. Go to the school orientation day...if that is what they call it...meet his teacher...she will show him his desk, centers in the room...etc...and if you do have fears...speak to his teacher...she will put him at ease...talk about the playground...IF you can and the school is nearby, may I suggest ya'll go play at the playground for a little while. Give lot's of praise...I know it's hard to let go, but, soon you will be treasuring some of his experiences from school. Don't worry about the handwriting..it will come..but, I do suggest what is called doodling...that is the first step in handwriting....scribbling...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• contin...then, ask him....what's that a picture of...and write it for him and then say that word...he will pick up on the print rich environment...they will learn colors, rules, and never be afraid to ask the teacher if there is something you can do for him at home...communication is the big key here...and give thanks to your child's teacher.....good luck...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Join the Elementary Moms group; there is great advice!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think it's great that he has "questions." His teacher will teach him the rules on how to ask them and trust me she will be thrilled to have a child to ask questions....I have always taught my own child that it is ok to ask questions, but, to make sure he waits his turn..your son will catch on....no worries....may I also suggest...that every day when he comes home...ask him questions...what did you do in school today? Don't be surprised if his answer is "play at recess." =) Just redirect your question...did you do anything else...anything fun...did you do any art? etc....good luck....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• His teacher will work on classroom manners; I wouldn't push it.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Thank you ladies. My biggest concern is that he is a talker and he asks a lot of questions and sometimes, he can not hold on to his question until the appropriate time. We have been trying to work on this without discouraging him from his curious nature. Any ideas on how to do this?

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010