Do you have a seal a meal? What do you use it for

TwinkleC

Asked by TwinkleC at 8:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have a food saver and it was most valuable during my husband's deployments. I would vacuum seal homemade brownies, bread or cookies and send them to him. He said they tasted very fresh. I used it to vacuum seal socks and stuff he requested. I even threw a bunch of slim jims in a bag and vacuum sealed it so I was not sending the container.I also used it while he was gone to portion meat for us. If I made a roast, I would dice up the leftovers, vacuum seal it, and then use it at a later time for soup or stew. I still use it for marinades or to keep stuff like breadcrumbs or brown sugar fresh.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I buy meat in bulk and then use the seal a meal to divide it into meal size portions. I do the same with fresh veggies (usually from the garden, I blanch them and then seal them). I love mine! Hardly anything goes bad or gets freezer burn anymore. It has really helped our grocery budget.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We bought a vacuum food sealer years ago, and it's probably the BEST kitchen gadget we ever bought! We have a large horizontal freezer in our utility room in the basement, so when we buy meats in bulk, we seal and freeze most of it until we need it (up to a year), and we have a pretty good garden with a wide variety of veggies, and fruit trees/bushes--so we've been able to pick, seal and freeze these foods as well!

In fact, last night, I had a LOVELY salad that consisted of this years home grown Romaine lettuce, and LAST seasons cucumbers, bell peppers, radishes, and carrots! And I also made a cherry pie from cherries I picked last weekend for a neighbor who just came home from having surgery.

I love cooking and baking with "free" food! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I had one and used it for a while on the vegetables that I grew, but eventually I stopped bothering and gave it away.

Answer by Bmat at 8:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• simple smileI just order one. Because so much stuff gets wasted. Glad to here you like it.

TwinkleC

Comment by TwinkleC (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We are seriously considering getting one. We buy all of our food in bulk as well due to lower prices, so it would definitely come in handy.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes, I have one and love it. I seal most of my leftovers.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We've had one for several years. We use it to package our chickens at processing time and the meat will stay in the freezer for up to a year without freezer burn. We've also used it with garden veggies and strawberries. Things taste fresher than if we'd just used a freezer bag. We also seal freezer meals and they'll stay good for a longer period of time than if packaged otherwise.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2010