Should Marijuana be legalized for recreational use?

I do not enjoy smoking it but then I also don't enjoy getting drunk. Heres a big fat SO WHAT? People smoke pot because they like it. More power to them. Why does government have to put us through the BS of it's medicinal then you have everyone with pains, etc., going to a doctor for $200 to get a card. If it helps your aunt with cancer - good, go for it! Back in the old days didn't they used to give whiskey to a teething child? I know it's not the same thing at all, right? So you enjoy smoking it, why do we have to pretend it's a cure all? And some successfull people smoke pot. SO WHAT? Some drink hard liquor every day. As long as neither group decides to drive on the roads after partaking how is this any of my business? Do you agree?

LauraMi261

Asked by LauraMi261 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would rather pot be legalized than young kids dealing it and it being brought here by terrorists. Honestly, alcohol and cigarettes are recreational and dangerous as well. I think it would need to monitored and restricted to small amounts though like how certain cough medicines are behind the counter.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Alcohol AND Pot has always been unhealthy and makes driving risky. Would you allow a drunk driver out on the roads to cause an accident? Would you let a spaced out pot smoker drive a car that causes an accident? Isn't ot true that pot will diminish concentration and relax reaction time? And isn't it responsible for many pot smokers to graduate to other more potent and damaging drugs? Isn't most of the marijuana laced with harmful chemicals? DO we really want pot to be smoked freely? I think not.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• They've actually done tests and found that pot smokers do not have a raised incidence of accidents; but that's neither here nor there. No one should ever drive under the influence of anything.

Marijuana is a plant; it isn't laced with anything unless you want it to be. It does have some beneficial properties for people with certain ailments; that's not bunk it's fact. Just as many other plants do as well.

In the interest of keeping people out of jail who do not belong there; I am for decriminalization. I think legalization while a great end goal is too scary for too many of the uninformed masses and so progress must be made in small steps. It should not be a jailable offense unless you're caught selling it to kids. Possession should be a fine or a ticket. Then after a generation or two when people are used to that they can push for legalization and regulation just like alcohol and tobacco have.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Weed should be legalized.
    alcohol is so much worse than bud.
    gertie, its only laced because its made on the streets by dealers changing its potency and claiming it to be better than it is therefore hiking up the price for it. making it weigh more smell better whatever the way.

if it is legalized they would probably make it cheaper, sell it at convenient stores, therefore eliminating or cutting back the drug dealers selling it. Because you could go to a convenience store and buy it cheaper than going to a dealer. if its sold and legalized, it would be pure. it would be made in factories and not be laced.

I think many ppl that smoked weed and moved onto worse drugs is because of the ppl they associate when buying it. dealers, who then deal other worse drugs, coke,meth H, e.... and so on.....its association with the dealers having worse drugs and offering it to them.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes i agree.
    Any adult over the age of 21 should be allowed to smoke pot in the absence of children. Also, with restrictions involving no working or driving while under the influence etc etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• legalize weed, tax it, eliminate drug dealers, drug cartels, drug violence, and so much more.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes I think it should be legalized, however with restrictions, such as their is with alcohol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• and now Bob Marley is stuck in my head :)
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• For petes sake. Parts of Cali already look like Pot row with hookers on every corner. Not to mention they are finding the biggest problem is people "watering down the pot with erbs and grasses. Lovely. Pot breeds druggies. No of course not every one who smokes it is a driggie but a good many are. Kids start with pot and move on to harder drugs. Besides those of you who try and compare drinking to smoking weed are nuts. They both are mind altering and we don't need anymore wreckless idiots on the road.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree!
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2010