I may be sitting in a waiting room for a good while, what do I need to take?

My DIL will be giving birth within the next month, and I may need to sit in the waiting room for a good while, since we live a distance. I am thinking I'll take a bottle of water, a light blanket, a couple books... anything else?

Asked by Bmat at 8:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• notebook and pen? i wrote my kids letters while i was in labor... you could write hers a letter welcomming her to the world.

Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 8:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Puzzle books, whichever kind you like. A hand held game.

Oh, I know. A toothbrush, hair brush, change of clothes.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Do you like doing crosswords? Sudoku? Maybe some peanuts or other snacks...Don't forget a camera?
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• do you have a laptop? You could go on CafeMom! lol
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 8:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I wish I had a laptop. If I did it would be so much fun. Oh well, I like reading, too. I am noting down all of the suggestions, they are good ones, thank you.

Comment by Bmat (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• A roll of quarters for the vending machines and/or pay phone. A list of the names & phone numbers of everybody you want to call after the birth. A good book to read and/or paper games (crossword, word search, sudoku, etc.). Snacks if you don't want to use the vending machine. Slipper socks or slippers.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• what about a cell phone with internet access?

Otherwise, books, magazines, snacks, drink, make a to do list, get an easy crochet or knitting craft.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i like to take a book or two, magazines (for when the concentration is not so good), some variety puzzles to keep it mixed up, notebook/pens.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Maybe an Ipod or portable CD player? Music is always soothing and makes the time fly by. You'll need energy, so maybe some cashews or some of other type of nut to snack on. A neck pillow is a must, especially after a few hours of just "sitting by'
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2010