Where do I even begin organizing my house? I feel over whelmed!!

I live in a very small house, three bedroom one bath!
No laundry room, no linen closet, and there are four of us in this little place....
Thank you for your advice in advance :)

coffeemum72

Asked by coffeemum72 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Sounds like our home! Now the 2 DD's are grown & out.. But I have a room set up for the young 3 grand children. Its never clean here. Plus+ now I can't clean due to my situation!! Besides totes and good storage I don't know what to say.Totes under the beds, under the couches etc.. Anywhere you can store things out of sight. By the time I was done cleaning it was dirty all over again! I understand, get you and all!! Don't sweat the small stuff. Be good at making memories and all... That's what matter the most!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 2:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I love thinking about this stuff, as we too live in a tiny house, 3 bed, 1 bath, 4 people- and it does make me definately pare back. I just can't have too much clutter, at all around here.

I think first, try to generally clean (do the dishes and laundry) like you would for a get together-
    Once you have it cleaned generally, only get out (to organize, say a small drawer or part of the closet) what you can put back in 15- 30 minutes.

Time yourself- 15 mins cleaning in kitchen,
    then 15 in another spot. or 15 mins reading to the kids, then 15 mins back in the kitchen, and so on.

Secondly, I would try to get rid of what you don't need or what is in the way that doesn't need to be OUT. For example, you are in your master closet daily probably- it shouldn't hold tennis rackets that you don't need everyday. They can go elsewhere.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have been there girl! Our first house was 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, and under 800 sq ft. I really just learned to minimize and store things as efficiently as I could. Start with ONE room first so you don't get too overwhelmed. Look around to see where you can store things and make it be functional as well. I know it is hard when there is not much room, but necessity is the mother of invention! There are a lot of great magazines that can show you ideas for storage under beds and desks and things.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• flylady
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 8:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• get rid of anything you haven't used in the past year. space bags can make room for more things in your closets. if you can, store things under the beds too, they even make lifters so you can put even more under the bed. when we lived in an apartment i had over the door shoe holders, the fabric ones with pockets on every door. you can put anything in them, toys, hair accesories, i found them really handy in the laundry room and in the kids room! make use of your wall space by storing things on shelves too. you can stor things in little wicker baskets, and it will look like decor instead of junk : )
    look through an ikea catalog, they specialize in storage and living in small spaces. they have handy stuff for the kitchen too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• OMG i feel you.. 3bed, 1 bath my laundry room is my kitchen and one very tiny useless closest.

I always give up... if you find any good storage ideas let me know please.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 8:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I bought some under the bed boxes and store sheets and pillow case there. You have to get rid of things you don't really need. Putting a large shelf over the door gives you a place set things.

TwinkleC

Answer by TwinkleC at 9:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i am in that process myself... we have a little more space and less people (at the moment) but that simply means we've got extra space to store mounds of shit... and haven't had the need to filter as much. then there's the problem of my hubby just taking everything not in daily use whether garbage, filing, things to donate, keepsakes, etc. and throwing them all in a box and stuffing it in a closet - makes my job a little hellish. i had to go through this in a previous house. the only way i can make progress is to take one box or cabinet or drawer at a time and put every single thing away where it will live (start with the places that you know are mostly junk that goes out of the house to clear space for the other stuff to go...). whenever i try the sorting game, i just end up moving piles of shit in different order from place to place - not effective. it seems like it takes longer to not sort, but really,...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I also live in a small house. I start by taking items that have found their way from the correct location back to where they belong. For example, the toys in the living room go back to my son's bedroom. Same thing with anything else that someone has picked up and dropped off in the wrong spot. Then I will concentrate on only one room at a time. It doesn't feel so overwhelming that way. Good luck! I think getting started is the hardest part! LOL
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• part 2 Easy shelf recipe: Two plant hanger brackets, one board no wider than the brackets themselves. To install brackets you may need an anchor or molly bolt. Align brackets to side and top of door molding (do not go above door molding as you will use door molding to help support board). Top with board, instant shelf. Basket with lids look attractive set in a room and you be a lot of small thing in them. Oh find on of those shoe holders with pockets hang it over the bath room door. You can put shampoo and hairbrush all those small Items a gal needs to ready. I bought a little plastic basket at the dollar store it has handles Lifted up the shower curtain hook and put the handles of the basket through them and put it back on the rod. Keep my razor and face cleanser ect in it. It behind the shower curtain where I can reach it but company can't see

it.

TwinkleC