At what age did you let your child go to the park with friends or play out front by themselves?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 9:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The park. My son just started to go with a friend this year and he's 11 and the park is only 2 1/2 blocks away. Out front was younger, but I have older kids to help watch and we live on a deadend and everyone has kids and watches out for everyone.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Teenage years.

Answer by louise2 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• its gonna be a while for me, im not sure. my daughter is six the kids downstairs play so wild, im not sure. But the only way i would allow my daughter to go to the park is with me or an adult that i trust.
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think some of it depends on the neighborhood. But for front yard play it was close to seven. I too have older children though so the younger ones are never really alone. My daughter is a few months shy of twelve and I have yet to let her go to the park alone. For my boys they were about 11 or 12 when I started letting them go with friends.
    I remember when I was growing up I was riding my bike nearly a mile to go to the park with my friends. Somehow it just doesn't seem right in today's times. I was also home alone earlier and frequently. My kids do not have to ever be home alone. I gre up to fast I am glad my kids can just be kids!
    mom-2-five

Answer by mom-2-five at 10:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We live in a rual area on an acre so my kids are allowed to go outside at a real young age by themselves.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 7:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• my boys are 5 and 6. there are two homes in the neighborhood that they go to. and their kids come here. today is the first time i let the kids ride bikes in the neighborhood. (it is a very small neighborhood!) i stayed outside to see them each time they passed.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My children are 6 and 7 and don't even cross the street w/o me watching! If they draw on the driveway w/chalk, I sit out w/them but feel pretty comfortable going inside to go to the bathroom or getting the something to drink.
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My older 3 kids have been playing outside alone since they were 5, 6 and 8 but they had to all be out at the same time.  The 5yo wasn't allowed to be out by herself unless she stayed on the porch.  Now they are 7, 8, and 10 and they go out all the time and take their 4yo sister with them.  The 4yo can't be out unless her siblings are with her or has to stay on our front porch (which is big).

the older 3 now go to the park around the corner from our house to play.  They can't go alone (have to at least be a pair).  The older 2 are allowed to walk there and back alone if they need to.  They've also started to wander a couple blocks from our house for walks.

We live in Chicago in the house I moved to when I was 12.  The neighborhood hasn't changed since I was a kid.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:45 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• We live on base and I think sometimes that we're the strictest parents in the area. My husband has started letting our son (6) walk to his friend's house alone, and I've done it once, but I get queasy every time I do. There are 5 year olds wandering our neighborhood at all hours though. It freaks me out. Our son knows he can ONLY go to his friend's house because I know where it is and have met the parents, so he doesn't go to the park or anywhere else. We also don't allow kids over til we've met the parents and know where they live. Most parents here think we're nuts. If my son is going anywhere, I TRY to make sure I can walk with him there, or that he has someone older (friend's big brother) walking with him.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 11:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Umm Im not sure. I dont mind her playing in the yard, but I will mostly likely be there or by the door to keep and eye on her. Now to leave the house without me, 12 and up most likely.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010