How long does it take for your baby to fall asleep?

Hi. I'm just curious about how long does it take for your babies to fall asleep (during naps and at night), and what do you do. I'm especially curious about older babies (8-12 months). Have they learned to fall asleep or do you help them (rocking, nursing, etc.)? It's sometimes helpful to know what other people are experiencing!

My son is 11 months, and has been on and off good about putting himself to sleep since 7 months. He usually takes 20-40 minutes of light cooing and whimpering until he's sound asleep. I check in or help as needed. But this varies depending on what else is going on in his life and if he's over-tired or over-stimulated. He might fall asleep in less than 5 minutes, or he might fight it for 1.5 hours (at which point I just cancel the "nap" or if it's nighttime I'll just rock him until he's in deep sleep). I'd guess that this is normal, but since this is my first baby, I'm not sure what is normal.

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 10:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have always put my son to bed the same way. Since birth. Make sure hes fed changed and comfy. Wait till he shows me hes sleepy, and lay him in his crib. No rocking or anything. He has always put himself to bed. Now, if we are out somewhere, sometimes i have to hold him till he gets real real real sleepy before i put him to bed. Just cause its a strange place. Hes 1 as of today and when hes tired he will crawl up to me whining mama and pulling my clothes and rubbing his eyes and i take him and put him to bed. Turn on his music and leave the room. I dont know how long it takes him to fall asleep. He doesnt make any noise if he is awake in there?
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If tired my 9 month old has always fallen asleep within ten minutes. When more hungry than sleepy it will be 20-40 minutes. I don't really clock watch, I am just guessing. I don't believe in schedules or routines...there is always a problem later when you need to go off schedule or can't do one part of the routine. I don't fall asleep with a routine. When I'm tired...I sleep!

We cosleep so I don't have to get up when she stirs at night. She might check for me then go back to sleep, or she'll latch herself and nurse and then go back to sleep. It's all good. For naps I either let her haver her 20 minute power naps on my lap, or I put her in the mei tai on my back and do housework and she naps in it. It really doesn't matter to me. Sometimes I nap with her or I do paperwork while she is laying next to me.

I savor each of these moments. They aren't burdens. They are memories in the making.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Right Away.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My son is 16 months and it depends on how tired he is. For naps he wakes up once in the 3 hours of naptime. But at night he usually wakes up 1-2 times. I still nurse so i think(?) that has something to do wiht him waking up. He is usually asleep within 15 minutes.
    PotterMom218

Answer by PotterMom218 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• DD always falls asleep nursing. We co-sleep and I work from home. She takes her naps on my chest while I work on my lap top. Or she naps in her sling while I work. She has no trouble sleeping if she is being held or next to her mommy.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I will add, so I don't sound like I'm bragging or anything, that my problem is keeping him asleep and getting on any kind of a schedule. His naps are so random I don't know what to expect, sometimes they last 10 minutes some times they last 2 hours. Sometimes he sleeps through the night sometimes he's up 3 times needing me to come in and put the pacifier back in his mouth, thankfully he goes right back to sleep usually, but it's still rough.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My 9 month old son will only go to sleep if I am rocking him/bouncing him with a pacifier and right after he's fed. I have to do this every night and every time he wakes up in the night! I've tried to just lay him in his crib half asleep but he won't go for it and I do not believe in CIO. Wish there was an easier way! Occasionally I get very lucky and he will fall asleep while nursing before bed time and I do not have to do anything special! =)
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 10:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• if they are tired, right away other then that they both play for 30-60 minutes in their beds before they fall asleep and thats most nights. Even if i put their bedtime later its the same thing
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Well I rock my 22 month old to sleep still. I love it! It takes her about 15 minutes unless she is really tired.
    worriedmama08

Answer by worriedmama08 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I still rock my baby to sleep too... shes 12.5 months we sing and rock for 10 mins and then shes out for the night :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010