Your opinion please!

My son and two neighbor boys (ages 10-12) were at the neighbors house. They went into the garage and took out an older brother's bow and arrow set without permission and went the backyard to shoot it. One boy shot an arrow through another neighbors window. My and one neighbor think we should split the cost of the window three ways and we grounded our boys for their role in this mess. The third neighbor thinks that since her son was not the one that shot the arrow through the window, she should not have to pay. She also did not ground her son. I feel like-they all shot arrows and one was just the unlucky one that hit a window but in the end-they all took the set out without permission. Your thoughts?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 10:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I agree with you. I think they should all split the cost. They were all participating in irresponsible behavior. They were accessoried to the 'crime'. I agree with "Lifes a Dance" that you are teaching your kids to be responsible by sharing in responsiblity of the behavior. Also, by having the kids pay, they are more likely to realize the consequences of their actions more then just by grounding. They will realize that it was a very serious offense and that they are lucky that it was just a window that was broken and that nobody got hurt.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• In all honesty if it were my son who shot the arrow through the window I would not expect the other parents to pay and vice versa. I would not pay for a window that my child did not break. Although I would have punished my son for doing something he was not supposed to be doing
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• her son didnt break the window...... i wouldn't pay for it either. id grow my kid for doing something he shouldnt, but pay for a window which my kid did not break? nope
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You sound so level headed! Good for you. I think you chose to do the right and responsible thing. Your child will not appreciate the punishment but they will remember what you did. What a great role model. The other child will learn to weasel out of things and continue to do unacceptable behavior behind their parent's back knowing they will dig them out of trouble. Wish there were more parents like you out there! I'd appreciate you as a neighbor too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would not pay for a window my kid did not break. If he broke the window i would pay for it and not expect the other boys parents to pay a dime (and he would work it off in chores).
    PotterMom218

Answer by PotterMom218 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think the boy who broke the window should be held financially responsible but that all the boys should be punished for having the bow and arrows -that did not belong to them- out without permission or supervision.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't pay for it. I would punish my son for misbehaving though

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with above^^^. I would definitely ground my son but if it was my son that broke the window, I wouldn't expect the other parents to help with the cost.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• LOL i said grow,,, i meant ground LOL!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My neighbor did not ask me to pay-I offered- if they were back there with permission and her kid broke the window-oh well...but they all betrayed her trust by taking out something they were not suppose to and they are all equally responsible for the consequences is how I look at it. Maybe its because I also have a 15 year old and know that's how life is when they get older. If they are at a party and there is beer-they all get suspended from the sports team. If you are in a car with an underaged driver-you all get a ticket. If you share a locker with someone and they have drugs in there-you both get suspended...its just they way it is and I guess I agree... if you drive the get away car you are still guilty-if you have something someone else stole-you are guilty as well....
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010