MIL who relies on you?

i have a MIL who calls me to help her with a lot of things dealing with computers and art. I make signs and posters and stuff for her business and church functions. in a way i feel great because i have a use in this family (she's given the idea to some relatives and they use me for signs and posters too) and i feel like they don't hate me, but at the same time i feel used a lot because no one offers to pay me or even sort of give me the option of saying no. does anyone else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• inlaw stuff is so tricky. I think that it would be ok to ask at some point for your MIL to contribute. for example let say she wants you to make up 10 signs, you can say"sure did you want to drop the paper off at 3?" kwim? get her involved in that way and it maybe wont be so offensive. orrr you could have her son casually mention to her that HE would like to see you paid for your hard work. Try not to feel used tho, it is great that you have that bond with her. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• That's family! You should consider starting an in home business with computer art. Sounds like you are really good at it. I bet others would love to pay you for your skills too!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Perhaps they just see you as family and don't think to pay you. I wouldn't think of it as being used, but that they rely on you when they need you. If you really feel you're being used, say no. If they don't talk to you again you'll know.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I rely on my MIL and FIL, I just asked a question about this.. I am the selfish one I guess
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2010