For working moms to answer...I'm a SAHM and need some advice

So in 2 weeks I start another temp job, the hours are overnight so I do not lose out on any day time hours, I have done this before so No Problem for me

The rough part is securing a regular day job after

I go to school full-time, My SO works part time, and I want to get a job part time so I can get my own vehicle.

We refuse to do childcare for a few reasons: our baby cannot talk yet, it would probably cost more than I care to spend, and I just feel like it's possible to work around it.

So my question is

Was/Is it stressful for you to work if your SO also works? How do you organize your time? A planner/just wing it...what?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 10:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• We've been in the situation before where basically when he was home, I was at work and vice versa so that we could do what you're doing, save $ by not sending our son anywhere for child care. Well personally I couldn't keep it up very long- it was just too much juggling things around like that and never having time to just sit down and be together as a family. That's just my personality though. As far as financially, it did benefit us and I wish I could've kept it up just for that reason. Now me and my husband are both working full time, but we both have day jobs while son's in daycare. I think it could def. work out fine for you guys, whether you try to wing it or plan it out is up to you depending on what type of person you are... just make sure at least once a week or so you have time to spend together as a family... you don't want to become too distant!
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 11:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• my So works mornin until 430 and when he gets home i work until 9pm....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I find it very hard and I feel that we are two ships passing in the night. It is hard to be on top of things and on the same page at the same time. GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We both work and my husband travels every week so I am on my own with the boys 3 or 4 days a week. My advice is hours and location are just as important if not more so than pay-I could make more if I commuted further or was willing to work more but then the balance I need would be GONE. I cook a lot on the weekends so meals are taken care of, I am a huge planner as in I write everything down-Sunday night I plan the whole week-who goes where and when, what we will eat and when, etc... I have learned to say no to a lot of extras like committees and stuff so I can focus on what I NEED to get done. We try to shut down at 3 pm on Sunday and have quiet family time because to be honest the other 6.5 days of the week are a blur... but we are happy and doing well so it works for us!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I do not have a SO and I work fulltime.
    It just so happens that my mom did not work so she babysat my daughter and my best friends nephew [who are only a month apart].
    In August, she will go to daycare [my family's daycare] and my mom and I will both go back to school to get our master's and I will continue to work fulltime.
    I have the iPhone, so that pretty much helps me keep organized .. I would suggest keep a calendar in your purse and one in the house for all to see .. It will help keep you all on track.
    Good Luck.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I work from home, but with DH also worked full time...I just had to remember to keep my priorities straight. I think if you always remember to read the kids a story, make time for cuddles, and give sex sometimes even if you don't feel like it... everyone comes out for the better. No matter how exhausted I am from working, cooking, and chasing after dd (and now caring for a newborn!) I've never once regretted staying up the extra time to spend time with family. It can get rough, hectic, and some days you may want to pull your hair out...I take that back..you WILL want to pull your hair out! But we do the best we can. As long as your SO is on board and you both make time for the kids... everything will be fine. And on the days when you doubt this...just take a hot shower, have some coffee/tea/cocoa and treat yourself to a sitcom after the kids are in bed. GL!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2010