Would this turn you off?

I am currently a SAHM but am looking for a job where I can still be with my son. I have applied for SEVERAL babysitting jobs in my area over the past few months, and have included that I have a 10 1/2 month old son who would be with me. No moms have responded to me. Not even to say they aren't interested. I'm talking like 10+ women. I'm starting to wonder if they don't even want to give me the time of day because I have my own child who would be with me as well. Do you think that's it?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Good possibility because for some reason parents always seem to think that their child is the only one that you will be watching, just like in daycare they tend to forget that there are other children there too. It is not a one on one thing.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• For me personally it wouldn't be a turn off. I would love for my son to have a play mate as long as they aren't exchanging too bad of habits,(i know there will always be some bad habits lol )

Is there anything else you can think of that might be causing the issue?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• were you talking about going to their house to babysit or having their kids come to your home?
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• tntmom- No not that I can think of. I've had babysitting experience before I even had my son, and I have a clean record if they somehow checked that out.

CAGirl- I stated I would be comfortable going to their house or them bringing their child to mine. Whatever was easiest for them.
    Ash9724

Comment by Ash9724 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Maybe you just havent found a family that clicks with you?

Or are you rates on the higher side? People are cutting way back on their expenses and child care isn't immune to it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think the biggest things that may turn some people away would be lack of knowing you personally, and if they don't know you they want to know about you and make sure you have proper qualifications (such as past day care worker or other such credentials).

Perhaps join a mom's group in your area so these ladies can get to know you and feel more comfortable with you. Invite them to your home so the know your home and can get a better idea of how you would care for their kids.

Nothing personal, but I won't let my kid be babysat by someone I'm not completely familiar with in a home I'm not pretty familiar with. I like to see how they care for a child and in what environment. My good friend has 4 kids and I won't let her babysit my DD because I see the condition of her home as well as how she cares for her kids. continued.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would bring my child to your home, but I probably wouldn't want a mom bringing her own kids to my house. Just because I am a freakish clean fanatic!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• you might want to use some sales speak - instead of trying to make friends and let them think it over, talk to them as if they've decided they are going to use your babysitting services. will you be bringing your son over starting on monday or the following week? would you like to put some agreements about the $XX a week for the hours of XX in writing? is there anything more you need to see from me or would like to discuss before we proceed with babysitting? I'm really excited about having your son/daughter over next week - i have a trip to the library story hour planned. etc. ... you are trying to make a business deal and it may require you to treat it like a business. it might feel pushy or uncomfortable at first, but just conduct yourself with integrity (and protect yourself from being taken advantage of) and you can move past the wishy-washy stage.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• continued.. while another friend of mine has no kids.. however I know she cares for her nephew 3 or 4 days a week. I've been to her home and seen how she cares for him and know my child is in good hands..

I wouldn't take it personally, some mom's just like to be overly cautious. Especially with all the scary things you hear on the news or see in the papers.

So as I said, get to know some other mom's that may need a sitter, put yourself out there, and let them get to know you. You'll have a much better shot at landing a babysitting job this way than just handing out flyers and such.

You are your own sales person, you need to sell yourself as well as your home... good luck :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• my kids are grown so i cant be of much help. why dont you put your own ad out there and see if someone comes to you? post you ad and the women on here can help you with any changes you might need.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010