private baptism?

My SO's family wants a party for everything, and we are having our son baptized, so they want one. But my SO and I would like it to be small and intimate-not the whole caln...then afterwards go to breakfast and anyone who would like to come can meet us there... times are tough financially and we cant offord a big party, nor can our families afford to buy gifts or money or anything. We want to celebrate, but does it have to be a giant party?
(I swear these people have a party when a kid poops lol.)

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 10:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• You and your SO are the boss. Whatever you guys want to do with your child's events is up to YOU. Don't let others try and dictate what is or isn't going to happen. Tell his family exactly what you just told us. I'm sure they'll understand and if they don't, well tough toe nails for them. Your child, your wishes.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I've been to a gathering for a similar baptism. The baptism was private or "kept small" and then we all got together at a restaurant for breakfast. They told everyone up front it was going to be dutch. We all know how expensive it is to raise a child, sounds like they would all understand as long as they knew about it up front. No gifts needed.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Anything that brings family together is a good thing, what about a pot luck? or some getting together to make the food. My family is always willing to do a potluck, basically I guess that is the way it has always been for us.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We are not religious so we had a private batism(just because we aren't religious doesn't mean our children shouldn't be baptised).
    So we did the baptism on a Saturday and had family over for a BBQ afterwards. Simple and affordable.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2010