Would you accept tuition assistance for a private education for your child?

I am curious because my dh and I have two children w/ADHD and behavioral problems. They need more attention than most kids and have been in a private school. My dh and I think that we can keep them at their elementary school but it only goes up to 5th grade. The 6-8th grade school is double the cost. Would you be embarrased to hand over your financial info to get financial help for school for your kids?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 10:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in

• Yes, if that private school could include my own homeschooling.

I homeschool both my boys and i believe DS1 had ADHD, but we do not have a diagnosis.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No. If you can get the assistance, do it! That kind of information is kept confidential. No one knows who is getting assistance, and I think you would be shocked if you knew who else was already getting assistance. Your kids will benefit, no guilty feelings needed.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Of course I would. Special private schools take extra money, just like colleges... And I dont' know anyone that would turn down money for college... What is important is that your kid gets what is best for him, not where the money comes from!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No need to be ashamed-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Not at all. This will only benefit your kids! Go for it, don't be shy!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes, I would accept the assistance for an education, no questions asked!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No I would not be embarrassed at all. The only thing I would like to point out is that it is the elementary years where many children make their friends. To move them to a new school later down the road is essentially stripping them of any friends that might help cushion all the hard spots in life. What I mean is...you make that foundation of having friends...you are moved to a new school where no one is your friend. It can be really really hard on kids. I should know.

Anyways if this school is so much better and safer than all the other schools then I say go for it. But if there is one just as nice but public I say go ahead and go for the public one. Just my personal feelings on it.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 11:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No and I do. I have for the last four years for my son's education. Otherwise we would never be able to afford the education he receives. My son also had ADHD though I didn't know it when I enrolled him at his independent school for gifted children. I just knew he was different and had him IQ tested for admission. There is no way I can see him transitioning to a public school after enjoying the benefits of his very low student teacher ratio and the incredible attention and classes he has had.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Of course not. What's important is that you are doing what you feel is in the best interest of your child/ren. You do what you have to do, even if it means being embarassed or vulnerable. I don't care if I had to stand outside and take donations from strangers to put my son through private school. If I felt that was what he really needed, I'd do it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would accept it. The financial aid in private schools are usually from wealthy people that donate it for that purpose.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010