What does your family think about your cooking?

My hubs took me and our 3 year old out to eat the other night and when the food got to the table my son was ecstatic. He looked at the waitress and said "we're at a resturant because mommy can't cook. Mommy burns the food." It was flipping hilarious to us, but I do wish that my hubby and son enjoyed my food more! LOL But they're right, if its supposed to be thick mine is runny...if its supposed to be done it's raw and if its supposed to be soft its rock hard...I'm not so picky, I'll eat it and be satisfied, but the hubs is so so so picky about his food and he's just not pleased w/ my inability to "make him a good meal" lol :)

Elizabeth1015

Asked by Elizabeth1015 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• well, i'm learning. we all think it needs a little work. sometimes the food i cook is great. ...and then there have been other times when i've spent an hour on something just for it to come out wrong.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It's easy enough to learn...try watching the simpler shows on the food network... I had to teach myself and it took me about ten years.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I rarely cook, I have mastered very few things, the rest is experimentation and nobody likes those :) I am getting really good at baking, but I'm afraid that regular food just isn't my niche..lol
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm a great cook, but I can screw things up at times. It just takes practice to get good at cooking. Just remind yourself and your hubby that the great chefs weren't born great chefs ... they had to pay their dues and screw up along the way.

Good luck on getting better ... don't stress over it!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• That is my strong point. But at times I hate it because I would like someone else to step up to bat once in awhile.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My family loves my cooking. I love to cook. I got it from my Grandma, she was the best cook in the world (I'm not as good as her). It sounds to me like you don't enjoy cooking, which a lot of people don't. Do you have any cookbooks? Pull them out, print recipes off the internet also, pick out some that are easy that you and your family will enjoy. Then follow the recipes to a T. Seriously, don't experiment with recipes if you don't know what your doing! Do exactly what the recipe says, no less and no more, and you should be fine.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Answer by Mama2JoshKatie at 11:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Isn't that something....my husband's picky too! lol I hate cooking because he's so picky....so half the time I just don't. It makes me mad because I eat whatever we have and he won't be in the "mood"....?! what's this mood junk?! lol
    I watch a lot of the cooking channel/food network.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My family really likes my cooking, though I messed many of my meals up before perfecting them. What I need to work on is finding new dishes to cook because I feel like I cook the same things all the time.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• They eat mine or go hungry:) I don't think my cooking is bad, but it's definitely not the best:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Have your husband cook every other meal. Mine does and it is great! That way, you can critique his too, in a nice way of course. Its also nice to get the break. Kids can be so painfully honest sometimes. Then again they do it to get a reaction. Sounds like you are taking it in stride though. Just to let you know, we all have bad nights at the stove.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010