How do I get her to understand....(My MOM)

Especially when it comes to my son

In my house we run on a schedule, we give him only organic food, we do not yell around him, etc.. My mom challenges me on everything
ex:
So she does not know our routine so I reminded her that when she was taking him that she needed to keep him asleep, not wake him up to play or anything. She got such an attitude, saying she knew how to take care of a baby, that I was trying to "school" her, etc...

She has a history of just being loud so I wanted to remind her that it was his sleep time

This is not just about his routine, but anything I suggest to her about caring for MY son. Because she rejects my opinions she has only watched him 3 times in the 7 months of his life.

This is starting to cause a rift, how do I get her to understand that I am just trying to make sure were on the same page? It's not like she has watched him much.....?????

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• We had to make decisions like yours. It's painful but you can't fix stubborn, years of experience, old school, set in their ways grandparents! You have some choices if she's stubborn:
    -Don't use her anymore
    -Use her rarely & remind yourself what she does for a few hours w/him won't change how it's done after you pick him up. Lots of sitters don't do as we say w/our kids. You can't control things when you're not around
    - she's gonna be hardheaded BUT you know she really wants to be around him alot, would it matter how she is with him in the long run (say if she passed away or GOD forbid something were to happen to him)?
    Ours can't babysit anymore b/c my MIL went overboard when she got mad once; b/c of asthma & FIL chainsmoking then my dad is too forgetful/my mom & stepdad have no patience.
    My kids don't see their grandparents much. But we do take them to see them, just never leave them.
    Good luck!!
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 12:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I read somewhere that when dealing with people who are are not on the same page as you to preface everything with 'My doctor says/recommends...'. Maybe that will help.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• She really never gets to watch our son, I have planned and planned for her to take him but last minute always change my mind because she is so stubborn

Which is also weird because she is only 33, 34 in july
    so It's not like she has some great amount of experience her self, she only has me and my sister, and she worked so I watched my sister anyway.

She is his only grandma, the other one died 12 years ago.

I'm afraid I will never leave my kid with her, I trust him more with my 12yr old sister honestly
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 1:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2010