When do you start giving your kids allowance?

At what age do you feel is good to start giving your kids allowance? How much do you start with?

Cafe Chastity

Asked by Cafe Chastity at 11:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't believe in giving allowance. They're supposed to do thier chores because they're contributing members of the household, and they should take pride in thier house as well. Free money is out of the question...so if there are any other "extra" projects or to dos around the house, then they'll get paid to help out with those. I say 12 is a good age to start.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• We don't believe in allowance. No one give us money for nothing. The adults have job, where we get paid; sometimes we get bonuses.

We pay for grades, with bonuses for honor roll and raised grades; penalties for lowered grades. Half the money goes to savings; half is for spending

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i started putting $5 in a piggy bank once each pay day from the day i found out i was pregnant,done this with all 3.then when they are about $3 i start letting them spend some
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I give my 4 and 5 year old an allowance ...sorta.

we have chore day twice a week. If they stay relatively focused and get the job done they get a dollar. if the mess around or get in too much trouble then they don't get a dollar. Also, if we finish our chores in a timely manner we can go to the park or something fun for the rest of the day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't give allowance. I allow my ten year old to earn up to five dollars a week, half of which must go into her savings.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'd say at about four or five years old.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 11:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't believe in allowance. We all have specified chores around the house and yard. We all do these because we are a family and that's called working together as a team. However, they all have opportunities to earn spending money by doing extra things that are not normally their job. Chances to earn spending money begins around age 5.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't give an allowance. I do expect them to help around the house & I provide money for things that they need & field trips. They want money, then they have to go out in the world & earn it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• At 5 years old, with increases every birthday (along with more chores). I stopped with my teen when he got a part-time job outside the house.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I never really gave my kids an allowance per say. Rather, I would award good behavior with a movie or something to that affect. When they were old enough, I made them start getting jobs such as babysitting to buy the stuff they wanted. I really never believed in handing them things for no reason. It worked for me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2010