please be honest.

I want honest < no bashing!~ answers if I am being selfish or she is being a bitch..
My MIL watches our children (2 in school, so really watches 1) while my hubby works, well hubby got laid off 4 weeks ago, so he is at home no care needed right now. Here is my problem in a few weeks he will be going back to work, so i asked her if she can babysit the baby July 16 (I asked her 2 months ago). she said NO! I am on vacation that week so I will be home to watch the kids ALL that week except that one day. I planned to take my boys to six flags with 2 other friends and their SONS same ages as mine. My MIL still is saying NO, but I think she is being unfair and just being a bitch, my hubby says that I am wrong.MIL knows I have NO one to watch her ((very small family, like only mother who works as well). FYI~ we pay her $100 a week to babysit as well

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• TOTAL BTICH!!!
    vania_jmz

Answer by vania_jmz at 12:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think she has every right to say no.

But i understand your anger and frustration.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Well, I cannot really honest fairly because I do not know all the circumstances. But as a grandma myself, I can tell you I really do not like to babysit. I will watch the kids when it's necessary, emergencies, sickness, etc. Also, when I do it, I prefer to take one child at a time and treat them to their own special day, like a movie, shopping, etc. I have too much to do to be watching the kids all the time. We own our own businesses and right now I am also having to haul my daughter and the kids around because she has no car. So, if I base my decision on my experience, I would say that she has every right to say she does not want to do it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If she doesn't want to watch them , she doesn't have to. Not trying to be rude but that's the truth. Not her kids.
    But I understand where you are coming from. My mom watches my girls while I work but won't watch them for any other reason.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think she has every right to say no if she doesn't want to watch your baby that day. Maybe she feels like if your not working you should watch the baby yourself, I don't know but whatever her reasoning is it doesn't matter she is under no obligation to watch your kids no matter how much advanced notice you give her.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i hear you my mil is the same way but then the minute i tell her that i am going to aks someone else to watch my son like my mother or a friend she starts on me about how thats no good for my son to be bouncing around from person to person(wich he doesnt ever...i never get a break...) but anyway...i would start looking now for another sitter expspecially if it is causing an argument between you and your dh...mil's are good for that....and i understand fully why you dont want taking your youngest to be an option on your mom/son day....
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have honestly been blessed with a wonderful MIL (but I can say that because we live 3300 miles away lol), but in this case MIL does have the right to say no. Sounds like she might be a little bit childish about the other stuff, maybe she's just very very oldfashioned as far as believing that the woman SHOULD stay home and be home all day doing the cooking/cleaning/childcare. She probably just doesn't see your point of view, and honestly she probably never will. If I were you, I would look into finding someone else to watch the kids for you when you need child care and let her JUST be the grandma. If she's spending a lot of time with them while you're working, she might feel like she has the right to tell you what she thinks you're doing wrong with them because she's more of a "caretaker" in her mind than a grandma. Just my opinion. Good luck to you!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'd just take your baby, get a carrier or good stroll and try to have fun, don't let her get the best of you. You can still ride rides if you take turns and I'm sure they have rides even small babies can go on, like those ferris wheels.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think you're in the wrong, here. She has every right to say no. Being a grandmother doesn't make you an automatic babysitter. She still has a life and, paid or not, doesn't have to be at your beck and call.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• thanks ladies, I know I can take the baby we do all the time. the "baby" is 2, I should of said that. I am trying to have a fun day with my boys though ages 9, and 6 then my friends sons are both 9. It is alot of work with a toddler, like I said we always have her. we are going to water park part, which means I wouldn't beable to go on the slides or neither could my 6 yr old cause he is too small to go alone (height requirements). It is a Mommy and son day, and bring the toddler would NOT be fun.. Thanks though.
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2010