Lack of confidence

I have such a lack of confidence in myself....I seriously doubt every little thing I do or say. I don't know why, but I just can't shake the fear of being wrong, or doing something/saying something wrong. How can I shake this feeling haunting me 24/7. The things I used to do pre marriage/pre kids I was so sure of myself, and now I can't even follow a recipe and feel like it's going to turn out right. This feeling just sucks!

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Health

• I have felt like that before. Especially going back to college after being home with my baby for two years. It was scary. Accomplishing something on my own was a pretty good cure! Try doing something you like to do, on your own.

Also, is there someone who is is hindering your self-esteem by making negative comments? Mine was from my childhood but resurfaced as a lack of confidence as an adult.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 12:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It is literally one receipe at a time. This is all new ground for you. Being married and having children is something you cant perfect from a book. Thats the hard part of being a parent is learning as we go. You will build confidence as you go on, one hurdle at a time! We all have been through this so you are not alone!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'm like this to a certain point. Keep doing things that you normally don't do and when you suceed your confidence will come back! Good Luck!

P.S. A friend and I were just recently talking about this, maybe it's an age thing?
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I feel the same way some times, I know that's not really advice but I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i feel that way too sometimes. i've been married for going on 3 yrs now and my oldest child is 3 years old. I still have a bit of a confidence issue, especially when there are other people involved like my MIL. But I have to say that I have gotten a lot better at doing some things and being confident in those little aspects of my life, but otherwise those few things are about it. But because those things have improved i know that the other things will improve eventually too. it'll be ok. GL mommy
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 12:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I am right there with you. I have had these feelings as well but I have never had good confidence. You did an excellent job putting those feelings into words. I would have doubted myself and not posted LOL!
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 12:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You just need to realize that you ARE good enough. Also realize that a lot of people feel this way. A lot of people fake confidence. Sometimes you have to go for things anyways, and once you realize you did just fine, you'll be a lot more confident the second time around. I'm sorry you feel this way, and I can guarantee you that you don't deserve to feel this way. I'm sure you're a lot more competent and worthy than you feel. Also remember that no one is perfect and even if you do do something wrong, everyone makes mistakes. I used to feel this way about certain things when I was younger, but I finally decided that I was NOT going to live my life worried that someone else would judge me. I decided that as long as I did my best, screw what anyone else thought of me. Since then, I've been much happier. I truly hope you gain some confidence soon. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You would benefit from counseling

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• write yourself a positive power statement & repeat it several times a day. ie) I am the greatest cook ever!
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• my husband is a very negative type person and can't compliment worth a crap, yet he loves it and seeks compliments from everyone for the good work he does. I'm pretty sure it's the way he was raised, but it still doesn't add to the situation when he's overly critical of what I know or believe or anything really.
    CAGirl4

Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2010