Question for moms with teens 15 and older

old meaning you have a kid 15 or older. Do you sometimes feel like they dont even want you in the same house with them anymore? Everything you have to say is so stupid and they cant stand being in the same room with you? It hurts ladies,,it does sometimes, I cooked dinner as usual tonight and I am not welcome anywhere in my own house tonight. They want to talk on the phone to their friends or go on the internet and I might as well be invisible tonight. Anyone go through this with teens?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• yes teens can be crude, impolite, selfish and angry people! Just keep being "mom", telling them to get their dirty clothes to the laundry room, be home at such and such time and remember to make things happen like you want them too. Don't feel guilty for going out for icecream alone or buying your own snacks and hiding them...when they want one let them know you think they've been rude lately and maybe if they were more kind or less snappy you'd get them snacks...I like to do something for myself alone often, just to feel my old self again...it's hard to be MOM somedays...even if the teens are gone alot and dealing with just the little kids.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 12:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I know how you feel! Try not to take it to heart. I have to keep reminding myself it's all the hormones.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 12:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I definitely know where you are coming from. My grandmother put it this way:  "They lose their minds when they become teenagers and don't find it again until they become parents."

Boy was she right. 

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes, but I don't tolerate it. If mine has an attitude toward me I confront it. It is my house and my rules for the most part. She can role her eyes all she wants, it is still my house. She can go to her room if she has a problem with me.
    HelenCarlene

Answer by HelenCarlene at 12:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• YES!! I have a teenager that one minute, the one where he wants to do something, he is fantastic. But the next , where he knows he isn't doing it..he is like a mumbling little old man.!! I have come up with an idea though. I let him have a tiny bit of freedom, and then when I say "NO": he knows it is not to be argued with. I also TRY like everything to make time for just us. Even if it is to go get a burger and go to the library..or to get ice cream..So he can talk to him "mama" alone without being interruputed and felt like his needs are less important that the smaller kids. That is a huge part of the problem here in this house. My teen feels a huge deal of pressure to be the first ..and yet never feels like he hits that mark. He is So smart. Very funny . And i make it a point to brag on his character where he can just hear it. I know that at this time they are coming into their own,and don't need us. It is us that needs them
    soccerjunki

Answer by soccerjunki at 12:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Sometimes my daughter can give me problems, but then other times she wants me to sit in her room and talk to her before bed (we do that most nights). However, if her friends are around she kind of treats me like I'm invisible and that hurts, especially since we seem to be fairly close otherwise...

I see it this way, it will all come back to them when they have kids, and they will turn to us and feel bad. I know I told my mom how sorry I was for the way I treated her when I was a teenager (even though I still think my mom is a fruitcake).
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have been through this and right now my 17 yr old won't tell me anything or hold a conversation with me...it is hard but it will go by faster then you think. I have a step daughter who is almost 25 and it seems like yesterday she was just 17. I have another who is 19 and she is so lucky to be alive because of the way she was in high school, lol...and my other daughter is 23 and has Aspergers so there was no normal teen troubles there
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I blame it on the hormones!  Hang in there it will get better

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Why do you tolerate this?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Sorry your going thru tht but I have to say NO' My dd has never done tht and all of us in my family enjoy every minute we have...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2010