To vaccinate or not?

Does anyone know if the bible talks about vaccinating? I have never questioned it but I really have been wondering if it is a good idea now. And we still havent done DD's one yr vaccines and have our DS's pre school vaccines to do. Thanks for any input.

mom2wy

Asked by mom2wy at 1:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, i don't think the bible talks about vaccines (wouldn't really know though cuz i'm not Christian) however, in a few of the vaccines they use aborted fetus cells and that tends to be one of the religious reasons that some Christians choose not to vax.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:09 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The only thing I can think of is that it says not to put unpure things in your body or something like that. I selectely vaccinate and just printed papers of the internet that said my kids dont recieve such and such vaccines and that I take full responisbility if MY kids get sick.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 1:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have heard that but wasnt sure how true it was. I sure dont trust our government and wouldnt put anything past them. It just seems that more and more ppl are having reactions to them and bad ones. I really dont know if exposing my children to that is the smart choice. But thanks for your answer!
    mom2wy

Comment by mom2wy (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Ya I wasnt sure how to get around that either? Thanks so much! I think I am just gonna have to do more research!
    mom2wy

Comment by mom2wy (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• this is the link i used http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws.aspx
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 1:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• This tends to be a thin line. The bible doesn't talk about vaccines - mostly because their were none back then. However, there are Christian religions (not many) which do tend to lean away from them because of what is in them. I know many JWs do not vaccinate because their is aborted fetal tissue and other biological ingredients in them, which they see as going against Gods law to not intake of blood. There is also a growing number of religions which are leaning away from medicine altogether... I left a few links and what not on your other question and so did Outstanding, so I'm not going to leave them here, but it is something you should research. I'm not Christian, I'm Pagan, however, my religious beliefs really had nothing to do with my choice not to vaccinate. In fact it was a combination of almost dying from a vax and the research my grandmother started that helped start my research, which made my choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Thanks hun!
    mom2wy

Comment by mom2wy (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have chosen to delay my child's vaccines due to a family history of problems with them. There are two states, West Virginia and (I think) Tennessee, that are the only two states in the USA that do not permit a philosophical/ religious exemption from getting your child vaccinated. In the other 48 states it is your legal prerogative to choose to not vaccinate because of your philosophical or religious beliefs. I think every state has a medical exemption, meaning you would have to get a doctor to state that vaxing your child would be of medical detriment. There is lots of conflicting information out there. You have to be very discriminating in what you read. Studies are backed by people who have a vested interest in a certain outcome, for example- selling vaccines. Then you have media picking up on certain studies while ignoring others. There are vaccines that use fetal materials, as well as heavy metals & animal blood products
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Back when the bible was written they didn't know about germs, viruses, bacteria and the like so there's no mention of vaccines specifically. But vaccines are a relatvely safe and effective medical intervention and the bible does not preach against medical interventions. (Luke - who wrote the Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles is said to have been a physician.) So it would depend on why you object to vaccines. Do you really have a religious objection or are you looking for an execuse not to vaccinate because you're concerned with something else? Also realize that your choice affects not only you, but the community you live in as well. If too many people in a community choose not to vaccinate it increases the risk that a disease can enter a community and harm someone.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• About the use of aborted fetus in vaccines. I know a few people who are strongly pro-life who do object to certain vaccines because of the use of fetal tissue in their development. There are two main ones - chicken pox and rubella (the "R" in the MMR). If you do object for pro-life reasons, your child can still receive separate measles and mumps vaccine since those were not developed with fetal tissue. But again realize these deisease are harmful and choosing not to vaccinate does increase the risk for others around you. That rubella especially is dangerous for pregnant women - it caused thousands of miscarriages and birth defelcts before the vaccine. So if you do choose not to vaccinate, you need to take great care that your child does not put othrs at risk, especially when they're contageous before the symptoms show.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010