Is this legal?

I know this chick that lives down a couple houses down and she leaves her 10,9,7,5 yr old kids at home by themselves at night. Around midnight and 1-2 am. Is that illegal? How old does a child have to be to stay at home alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on the state.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I know in some states it says that for a short time you can leave them alone as long as they are old enough to call 911 in case of emergency. I know that is how it was in Wyoming anyway. But you can call your police station and ask them.
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 1:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It depends on the state you live in. You would need to call your local family services or police department to get the answer to that question. In the state I live in, a child has to be 12 years old in order to be left caring for younger children. However, in my state, if the 9 year old was left home alone (with out the younger siblings) that would not be illegal. Again, it varies by state.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 1:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I would report that before something awful happens to those kids. ASAP.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Unfortunately most states have the 'If you feel your child is responsible enough" rule. But I think it all depends on how long she leaves them alone for. If it is just an hour or two, I think it's pretty legal.. But if its like shes' going to work an 8 hour shift, I would think there would be some sort of law against that.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 1:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I depends on the state. But if yo are seriously concerned, I would call the police station and ask them about your state laws. Then if the children are too young to legally stay home by themselves, I would repot it. You dont want anything to happen to those children, and its better safe than sorry.

[general you - - No you specifically]
    lovemylittle1

Answer by lovemylittle1 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• There probably isn't anything that can be done unless she is putting them at risk in other ways as well.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I read unless the child is very young and alone, it's your discretion to leave a kid in charge, like a 10 or 11 or older but 13 is the age to babysit...??? maybe that's a non related 13yr old or something... if something goes wrong it's the situation that gets judged.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 2:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• every state is different check into it!
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 4:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I was babysitting at age 10. I think it depends on the maturity of the child. I think the law in Michigan is 13. My oldest is 12 & I leave her in charge frequently. But I know several 15-16 yr olds that I would never leave unsupervised.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2010