What are your thoughts on letting your kids sleep with you?

Letting your kids climb in bed with you at night. Good or bad idea?

Sherrae

Asked by Sherrae at 1:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• bad idea. they need to learn independence. if something scares them you show them there is nothing to be afraid of and put them back to bed.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Its a bad idea, lol but i let my kids climb in bed with me and end up being rolled on, hair being rolled on, and every once in a while to being peed on.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 1:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think it's okay every once in a while. I can remember having a bad dream or occasionally being scared in the middle of the night and climbing in bed with my parents. While it wasn't often, it was nice to know I could have that comfort if I needed it. Sometimes my younger brother had climbed into their bed too, and there would be NO room, and I would try to balance myself on like 8 inches of the side of the bed next to my dad, lol. I'd be wobbling and everything, haha. My poor parents. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Depends on what your goals are as parents. I co-sleep with my children. I want them to feel safe and secure. My daughter sleeps in her own bed now (she's 2) because I'm pregnant and couldn't see myself co-sleeping and nursing with two children all night lol. If she has a nightmare or whatever then I would be okay with her sleeping with us for a night, but she doesn't. I've tried and she just lays awake for an hour and then wants to play lol.

Anyway, I think it's totally fine unless for you, as the parent, it causes problems.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• no, it becomes a habit, when i go to be at night thats the only break i have from them, i love my kids dont get me wrong, i just love havein some time to my self!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think my oldest is in his room next to his dad, and my youngest is laying next to me in bed right now... It works great for us!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Bad, If she is sick ok.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think it is fine,, and I have yet to meet a 18 year old climbing in bed with their parents,,,, EACH of my parents had 10 brothers and sisters and didn't live in 10 bedroom houses,, lol,,I think you can do alot MORE damage, shutting them, locking them, forbidding them, out of your room than being loving and kind to them,, most of the time when DS comes in our room, it is because he is scared, sick or lonely,,,and that is WHY I had him to love and care for him when he needs it!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Because of a bad dream or if they aren't feeling well, yes that's fine. But I don't believe in co-sleeping or a family bed. Kids need theor own beds and parents need their space for grown up time, and I'm not just referring to sex.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I let all my kids sleep with us but we start to transfer them into their own bed around 2 or so. My baby girl is 15mths and we have already started with her but she still sleeps with us if she is sick or we are away from home!
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 1:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2010