My boyfriend is ALWAYS negative

I am a really optimistic person, and my boyfriend of 1 year is always negative. He ruins everything happy for me with his negativity! Advice?

Sherrae

Asked by Sherrae at 1:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• get a new boyfriend? sorry, not really much advice on that one, sounds like something pretty big in the relationship that you have to think about. Negativity is a personality trait, and it's not a good idea to stay with someone if you don't like their personality
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You could show him what it is like. Or tell him to not be so negative.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 1:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. New boyfriend.
    countrygirl1987

Answer by countrygirl1987 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If after a year the person you are with is someone who is ruining anything happy for you I think it's time to move on. Negativity like that is more of a trait than something you can change. In my experience those people are best weeded out of your life.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i have one of those!!! and if it wasnt for me loving him so much we would sooooo be over!!!.. just sit down with him explain how it makes you feel.. and how it pushes you away from him.. he should make an effort to be more supportive to you.. and your feeling.. if not then you already wasted a year dont waste more.. this worked with mine every now and then he is still a negative debbie downer.. but i can see how much he wants to make me happy and support me so its worth it!! ... but just remember.. he isnt doing it to hurt your feelings.. just how some guys are..
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If you are going to keep him then accept his ways and don't take it personally. My SO is like that and use to drive me nuts. The man doesn't see anything positive whatsoever. I just accept that and go on thinking positive thoughts that he's an idiot but I think he rocks anyway!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• you have to make a choice to either love him as he is or show him the door. negativity like that doesnt really change for someone and it could at some point effect how YOU see things. not fun...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I had that problem as well it does not go away you have to decide to either be stronger or move on you have to be able to decide hey I can overcome this or no and move on. I just ignore him now I find my own goals are much more important.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It is a downer to listen to negative comments on a daily basis.... when I find myself in that position..... I say something positive back to them and focus on that.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My STBX husband is this way and it REALLY grew tired on me and honestly, left me feeling like things I like were always being knocked and that we were differing in our opinions of things, life, etc. It just made me see him in a completely different way than when we initially met. I didn't like how I felt around him eventually (there were other issues too of course).
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2010