How can i make sure my breast milk doesnt dry up?

I just had my dd on wednesday and i am trying to breast feed.The problem is that i took some pain relievers when i was in the hosiptal and they told me i had to wait at least two days for the bad milk to come out.So how do i take the milk out without her sucking it plus i dont have money for a breast pump at this time.Also she only likes one breast how do i get her use to the other one?

Lucerocaylee

Asked by Lucerocaylee at 1:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you don't have a pump, use your hand to express milk out of it.....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• yeah, use your hands. you can google hand expression to get a better idea how to. once you learn its pretty simple. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Hand expression is an option, but I would recommend having a lactation consultant show you how so it doesn't hurt. And she will eventually get used to the other breast, though she might always have a preference for one side. Other than that drink lots of fluids and nurse as often as your baby likes (when it is safe to do so of course)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• what would happin if i gacve her breast milk right now
    Lucerocaylee

Comment by Lucerocaylee (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Hospital typically allow you to rent breast pumps. I'm not sure what the charge is but it would definatly be alot cheaper than purchasing a new one.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 2:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You could hurt her if you were told not to because of medications you were given. Please call the hospital tomorrow. Maybe they can give you a manual breastpump. If not contact La Leche League. I know you must feel desperate but don't nurse her if you were told not to. It is for her safety. Also just because she only liked one breast the first few days doesn't mean she won't take it eventually. Just keep offering it to her. Stay strong.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Ask the hospital about breast pumps - when I had my DD they let me take home a hand pump one that I was using in the hospital.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 2:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• your milk will come in full force shortly, you won't have to worry about it drying that fast, and you'll know because it will hurt, drink water as well, a lot.

& just keep offering the other one. HOld your boob with a C-shape with your thumb and index, so the boob and nipple are pushed out and rounded, and keep offering.

Maybe even extract some milk using your finger tips, just a dot, rub it on your nipple so your baby can smell it and she will try harder for it. She just has to know it's there and ready. Sounds weird but it works.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Definitely try to get a pump, even just a hand pump. I loved the Medela Harmony. The hospital gave me that one, but it's not too expensive.
    It depends on the meds they gave you what would happen if you nursed. Didn't they ask if you were nursing? They generally will give you something safe to take while nursing.
    Are you on WIC or anything? They can give you a free pump to borrow.
    You can definitely try hand expressing milk, just try to have a nurse show you how to do it properly.
    Once you get her back on the breast, just keep switching her from one feed to the next, she'll get used to both breasts, just be persistent with her. Good luck!! Don't give up on the BFing!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Most pain meds are safe to take while nursing, as long as they are taken as directed. Plenty of c section moms nurse, and they are generally given percocet, which is essentially oxycodone and tyelonel. What med did you take? To ensure milk comes in, it's essential to nurse, frequently and on demand in the first days.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2010