osteoarthritis

Just really bummed right now... I had foot surgery 9 years ago and another for the same foot a year later. They had to take a bone out and give me one from a bone bank and put a screw in to fuse it. I have been having a lot of trouble with it for about 5 years and kept putting it off because I figured it meant another surgery. Well I finally went to a orthopedic specialist the other day and was not expecting what he told me at all. He said I got osteoarthritis eats away the cartilage between the bones and all mine is gone between my fused bone and the other one. He said the only option is another fusing which I will have less movement than what I do now. (cant move it from side to side now)I am on inflammation pills and had to take steriods for a week. Trying to avoid surgery as long as possible. I stand at work for 8 hours everyday which doesnt help much. Anyone else have osteoarthritis? If so please share your story with me.

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 1:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Health

• My DH is an orthotist,, there are MANY new procedures that can help you,, Pain management,, not like drugs but actual injections, into the area can help for a LONNNNNG time, also you can have cartlidge injection into your foot,, ask your primary care doc, for a referral ,,, many older foot docs, don't keep up on the new treatments, and trust me, there are so many things available to you now! This is one area that warrents a younger doctor!! maybe he will be cute too,, okay just hoping,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I wish I had answers for you :( I know you must be in a lot of pain.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I do but not to the extent you have. I twisted my hip bones in an accident a few years back. They misaligned and getting them back in alignment took a long time. The pain was less but never went away so when I asked what's up the doctor said Oh now you have osteoarthritis and wrote me a prescription for 2400 mg of Motrin a day. I took them for about a month and realized they were eating my stomach lining up and decided to walk off my pain. It helps and I don't have to take heavy doses of anything now. I still have bad days but bearable so far

Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Thanks kimigogo...The dr. I went to said he could give me steroid injections or just take the pills and he gave me a weeks worth of steriods. I read about cartilage injections on the net something about fluid from a rooster comb. The dr. that did my surgery either isnt practicing anymore or has moved away so I was sent to a different who couldnt speak good english and was not very young or cute!
    heavenlypeace

Comment by heavenlypeace (original poster) at 2:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2010