Do you think this should be investigated farther?? 2 year old alone for at least 30 min and then dies?

I live in Arizona, and unfortunately we have a lot of drownings in the summer.

Just tonight i heard on the local news that a 2 year old drowned and died. Apparently he was in the pool for about 30 min. HOWEVER to make matters worse, he was in his high chair prior to drowning, therefore meaning he climbed out of his high chair wondered around to end up outside and get inside of the pool area and THEN be in the pool for at least 30 min!

Who leaves their child alone for that long?? I think its strange. They did have a gate around the pool.

I just think its weird that the child was left alone long enough to get out of his high chair and go in the pool ...

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am having trouble understanding the logic of when a child dies because it was neglected, that the fact that they are dead is "enough punishment" for the parents. While I think it is true, they will never get over it, this rule doesn't apply anywhere else in society. Vehicular manslaughter is an accident in which the person who caused it will be haunted the rest of their life, yet they are still punished by the law as well. I really hate to say that, but I think that some parents would be more willing to watch their children more closely. I know that is terrible, BUT if the idea of your child being hurt or harmed isn't enough then maybe jail time is. It just happens too often, in my opinion.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• How sad.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure. There is a lot I don't know. Where was the parents? Were they in the house? Were they gone somewhere? How did the two year old get out of the house? Was there an open door leading to the pool? You say there is a fence around the pool. How high is the fence? Was the gate open? As a mother of several 2 year old children I know how cunning they can be. Could they climb out of their highchair? Yes.Could they open a door? Yes. Could they open a gate that is properly latched? Maybe. What concerns me is the fact that the child was unsupervised for more than 30 minutes. No two year old should be left alone for this length of time. Where were those parents for over thirty minutes? That is a long time to leave a two year old alone. Unfortunately for this family it ended in a disaster! This is a hard lesson to learn, Never leave a two year old alone for even 5 minutes. I don't think this needs further investigation.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 2:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Wow that is crazy for that age! I think there should be more done!
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 2:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Agreed that 30 min is way too long to be left alone. Neglect at the least. Very sad in any event.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• That is very sad.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I would never leave a child anywhere near a pool alone. 2 yrs old? Cripes, I'd figure just about any 2 yr old could get our of a high chair.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• this is sad for this family and for the child lost its bad when a child is left alone for that long. I
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't think a 2 year old should be left alone for that long, of course not, but as far as the further investigation, for what? i mean what are they going to do, charge the parents with neglect? i think the parents have suffered an unimaginable loss and being punished for this is not going to make anything better for anyone.
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 3:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think it's needs further investigation. 30-min. alone is criminal.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010