Do you guys do charts for chores?

I could use some ideas on charts for chores for our house. The kids are getting worse about doing their chores unless I ride them and I dont want that. Thanks

mom2wy

Asked by mom2wy at 2:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe a wipe off board or stickers. I guess you could do velcro so you can switch them around for variety if you are crafty like that.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• How old are they?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i have done charts that you can make on your computer, there are some great sites with printable carts or you can get one from the windows downloads for excell or word. Whati have found after creating manymany charts is that magnets work best here is what we do........On the side of my fridge is a gold star (from the dollar stores teaching supplies) with each childs name below that i have a magnet that has each chore for each child listed (just buy magnet strips, cut to size and hotglue a piece of sturdy paper with the chore listed) Or if your lucky like i was you can find chore magnets at michales in the dollar bin. At the start of the day all the magnets are under the childs name, as they complete the chore the magnet is moved to the side of the fridge and at the end of the day we put them back at bedtime forthe next morning. I also keep a magnet clip under each childs name for papers from sports, dance etc . and a calender.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• They are 9, 7, 4 and 1 but of cours the 1yr old wouldnt be included except she helps pick up her clothes!
    mom2wy

Comment by mom2wy (original poster) at 2:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I've tried but I like it easy to remember so each kid gets one or two chores for daily or almost daily work. My 4 kids I have to remind so we keep it simple. one does dishes, one does dry laundry and sorting and folding, one picks up livingroom, one does trash and mows...
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 2:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• One time I posted a rotating chart. w/4 kids I had 2 do dishes Monday, one empty dishwasher and fills it, one washes, one set table & clears dinner table. On Tuesday they rotate On Tuesday the one that washed dishes moves to load/unload the dishwasher, the one the loaded/unloaded it on Monday now sets/clears the table, ...each got a day off so when they've done all positions they rotated to night off....I also was in on the schedule to help. I liked it. My husband screwed it up and we got off schedule and quit....
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 3:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Have a list of chores on the fridge, make it a pretty list have fun decorating it, etc
    Make it a 2 column or Row chart
    Make name tags for each kid, you can even laminate or whatever

For each kid who successfully and certifiably completes a chore their name goes in the box next to the chore
    The kid with the most chores done at the end of a week gets some prize, money/game/whatever
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• We have a huge white board for the kids chores (mine are 12, 10, and 8 - and 18 months but he's not on there yet). The lines were made with black electrical tape and the kids can use a dry erase marker to check off when they have finished whatever particular chore. It was a lot of work to set up, but very easy for the kids (and me) to read and see who needs to do what.

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• We don't have charts (they don't work for my kids anyway...they don't pay any attention to them).  They know what they have to do and I remind them.  If they refuse to do their chores they go sit in their room until they are ready to do them.  For my 10yo...she'd rather sit in her room all day long instead of doing a single chore.  She wastes most of her summer doing that.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the replies. These are some great choices. We will be setting down and making one soon!
    mom2wy

Comment by mom2wy (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010