How many dogs is too many?

So I have this bad habit of taking in homeless animals lol and tonight i was offered a puppy that is yet to be born but will need a home in the coming months. I already have 3 dogs and two of them were rescued from homes where people bought them then decided they didnt want them anymore and tossed them aside. On top of this I have taken in a feral cat and domesticated her and two other kittens who were abonded and had a litter before i could get them fixed so i have a total of 6 cats(all now fixed) and 3 dogs. DH says no more no way no how and i agree but my heart is screaming at me to take in this puppy, its a small breed so the food bill would stay fairly low. Maybe I am just crazy who knows.

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Pets

• You're CRAZY!! I do think what you're doing is awesome, though! The world needs more people like you...Honestly, it sounds like you are a good pet owner by getting them fixed and preventing more unwanted animals so I say go for it!!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't be happy if I was your husband but I'm not so you are approved by me:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• IMO any more than two is too many, but I'm not a huge animal person. If you cant take care of all of them than i think that is great. as far as taking the new puppy, i would have to say no, if you already promised your husband i don't think that would be fair, he has to live there too lol. but if you could get him to say it was okay, i would say go for it! :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 3:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have one dog and tht is too much lol' Lot of work animals and you have all those. I would just find a new home for tht puppy your talking about. I think you have your hands full!! JMO'
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• TY, It is so easy to not take in more cats because my kids and I volunteer at a cat shelter and so we feel like we are doing all we can. When it comes to dogs I have seen the local shelter for them and it is bad and i hate to see them go there and i hate seeing them in front of walmart being given away to random people not knowing what kind of home the are going to. OHHHHHH He will freak out if I say yes lol. I had promised to wait until our older dog passed away to take in anymore.
    3_ring_circus_

Comment by 3_ring_circus_ (original poster) at 3:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I say two is enough.
    manifer_momma

Answer by manifer_momma at 3:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think 2 is enough. lol. I couldnt handle more than that. And I had better have a big ass house to have two dogs. lol
    Mandiii04

Answer by Mandiii04 at 4:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think it depends on the person and how much responsibility /she wants to take on. Two dogs is enough for me. However, remember that certain areas have hoarding laws and I would try to adhere to those or your pets could be taken away from you.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Find a rescue that will take her in. I honestly think that if you can feed your dogs/cats. they have their shots and are healthy then the amount of animals should be up to you.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I guess it would depend on several things. Where do you live? Do you have a fenced back yard? How are you doing w/the current number of babies you have and do you the funds to care for and feed another animal. I get a lot of flac from my family because I have four cats and four dogs. I also live on a farm (100) acres,have fenced back yard and make sure they are all up to date on shots and parasetic control. I do not want nor will I get anymore dogs or cats even though I love them and would want them. I don't think it would be fair to the animal.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 2:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2010