What's up with all the ground beef recalls?

Do you still trust ground beef?

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_038_2010_Release/index.asp

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_037_2010_Release/index.asp

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_034_2010_Release/index.asp

All in the past month. We don't eat ground beef, haven't for over 2 years, and I am really glad now because it seems like every week there's a ground beef recall.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• you know the scary part is what is not recalled

The food and drug admin allows a certain amount of maggots into each batch of canned foods....gross
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Same answer. Watch Food Inc. this will explain all of the recalls.

It's probably related to feces in the meat!! Yuck!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 4:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Eight years of slashing of Federal budgets led to cutting of more than half of the inspectors. We are seeing more food recalls for the same reason we see more mining accidents and deaths.

What short-sighted policy makers forgot to consider is: if our foods is considered less safe, our overseas customers will stop buying it. Another area where the US is less competitive in the World Market.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I had not heard of any but I've never been sick with food poisioning. I cook everything well done and have not had a problem
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If you knew anything about how slaughterhouses and commercial farms work you wouldn't be answering this question. Even the so-called good stuff is usually contaminated and treated badly but the ground stuff is made using the lowest of the low. It's pretty much always going to be contaminated with poop or human waste or any number of other things. It's not a question of whether it's contaminated but whether the contamination is going to make you sick.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Weird because my husband cuts meat for a living and hasn't mentioned any of the meat in his store being recalled. I guess they just don't stock that stuff.

And yes I still trust beef. Everything gets recalled at one point or another. So unless I find a way to raise everything myself it is just a risk I have to take.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Oh man....not again!

Well, so far, so good. We've eaten about 5 lbs in the past 2 weeks and we haven't grown udders and started moo'ing yet.

I know, not funny, but I hate being in constant fear of things every time I turn around. {sigh}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2010