I can't eat Subway when I'm pregnant!?

I read at webID : Listeria can also be found in unpasteurized fruit juices, as well as hot dogs or deli meats such as ham, turkey, salami, or bologna.
I can't eat my turkey sammiches!?

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 4:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I asked my doctor about this too. Long story short.. I ate a lot of subway while pregnant with both my boys.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• honestly? talk to your OB about your concerns. there is usually very little danger and much more hysteria about these things. your OB can tell you best what to avoid for sure or have only in small amounts.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Of course you can! There is always that one in a million chance you might contract that kind af thing eating anything. If you have a local Subway I'd not worry about it. Check the place out, is it clean and do they wear their gloves and follow the cleanliness rules. All fast food places have laws on things like that. Talk to your OB but it should not be a problem.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• turkey and stuff like that is fine, it's suppose to be no cold cuts, bologna, stuff like that. but i ate that stuff and it didn't do any harm. at least you can eat subway...i worked at a subway when i was prego with my dd and now just the smell makes me want to vomit, and i had her 5 years ago!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 5:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• considering the hospital gave me a turkey sandwich while I was in the hospital when I had gone into premature labor, I'd say it was ok.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Subway was my favorite place to eat when I was pregnant. I agree with the others, talk to your OB usually there is a lot more hype to these online than is needed.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't buy into that stuff.  All I've eaten this pregnancy is lunch meat (mostly from the deli at our local grocery store).  Last week I went to Subway and got 2 sandwiches to last me a few days.  They tasted sooooo good and I'll probably be picking up a few more if I feel up to walking the 1/2 mile there and the 1/2 mile back (I'm almost 37 weeks now).

I ate Subway all through all 5 of my pregnancies and was never told I couldn't.  In fact this time I wasn't told to avoid anything.  My doctor has never mentioned any of that.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I work at subway ate it through my pregnancy if you are really concerned get your food toasted or microwaved for ten seconds
    kaydee8

Answer by kaydee8 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I worked through my whole pregnancy and I ate the cold cut combo every single day,,lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Most cases of listeriosis occur originally from the consumption of contaminated foods. A variety of foods can be contaminated with this bacterium, including cole slaw, turkey franks, deli meats, and especially chicken. Non-pasteurized dairy products (such as soft cheeses and some varieties of milk) often cause food-borne outbreaks of listeriosis.

When someone ingests contaminated food, L. monocytogenes burrows through the wall of the intestine and spreads by way of the bloodstream to other organs, particularly the brain and placenta (in pregnant women). Direct, person-to-person transmission is unlikely, except from mother to baby.

CONTINUED
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2010