How do i find cheap healthy food? gluten free and wholesome. ??

Well I'm not very well off. I'm a single mom. MY son Kyle is 15. i would like to find healthy affordable food.

RACHELSTRAUSS

Asked by RACHELSTRAUSS at 5:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• couponing can help you get to where you can get cheaper healthy foods. but it takes some time and patience to learn it. many stores have what are called catalina deals or coupons off your next purchase when you buy something on the sale. most of the time this involves NON healthy foods. however with the right coupons you can get PAID more in catalina back than you paid for the non healthy food. with some practice it can be pennies on the dollar sometimes. you then use the catalina to buy healthy options instead.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• For the most part good for you food is not cheap and they don't really have many coupons for good food. I've seen very few gluten free foods addressed with coupons. Stay away from the processed foods. Gluten free foods are fairly scarce in the grocery store though you see a few now days.
    Can you have a garden or do you have a farmers market near you? They are usually not as expensive as grocery stores.
    Here iare a couple of websites you might try. You don't say why you need gluten free but you can also google celiacs disease for gluten free.

http://www.the-gluten-free-chef.com/index.html

http://www.crunchmaster.com/ppcrecipe.aspx

If you can get 1 or 2 good gluten free cookbooks that will go a long way in helping you. Try ebay or amazon.

itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Dried bean, lentils, quinoa and brown rice should be your primary sources of protein and whole grains. Buy a bunch of second-hand cloth napkins and towels; stop wasting money on paper. Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Buy frozen fruit and vegetables: more nutritious, last longer, cost less

I have a ton of recipes that I would be happy to share with your; send me a message if you would like some

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• a lot of companies will send you coupons in the mail if you email and ask them.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2010