Measles or Heat Rash?

My grandparents were watching my son for the night lastnight until I got a bad call saying my son had measles! I got very worried and went to check him out. I told my grandma after an hour, I'd take him to the E.R if it got worse. He was fevering but nothing else was wrong besides the little rash on him. It was mostly in his diaper so I gave him Tylonel and put him in the bath. When he got out, he was fine! His skin is kind of dry from it but its cause I didnt lotion him up like I usually do.. as for the fever? I dont know. I just gave him another dose before bed. As a first time mom, I'm always affraid of whats going on with him. I checked them both up but how can I know for sure? He seems fine besides the slight fever.

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 6:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i highly highly highly doubt it would be measles. german measles at the worst. more likely a little heat rash or even a teething rash , they can get some mild rashes during teething on thier bodies. basicallly as long as its under like 102 i would not worry too much. i would call the dr in the morning and maybe take your child in for a quick check mostly to calm your nerves momma. you can also call a pharmacist to find out about proper dosing with tylenol and motrin alternated to manage fever in toddlers. but more than likely its nothing to worry about unless it goes over 102 before the dr office is open, if that occurs i would say call the after hours number right away for advice on what to do.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I doubt it's measles too. Occasionally if kids have their MMR vaccine they will get a little rash/reaction, but measles/ german measles are contagious...so where would he pick it up? I agree with the answers in the first post. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i agree with the other ladies. and would like to add that the fever it could also cause a rash. he could have gotten a virus or something and his body is fighting. or with it being in the diaper could be just a heat rash, or he could be allergic to something he ate and broke out because of urinating.

If you continue to worry about it. then take him to the doctor for peace of mind.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 7:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I am with every one else. Doubt it is/was measles. Probably just diaper/heat rash. Google measles, it is not just in one spot.

Answer by louise2 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2010