why do people put someone else down for now seeing things their way?

i know this is kind of off the wall. but really why do people bash others for being different? why no explain from you point of viewand be done with it. example: home birth vs. hospital birth, vaccinate vs non. vaccinate, this religion or that.

why does everything have to be right or wrong?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 8:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Some people confuse disagreeing with them as a personal attack, so they believe that anyone who disagrees with them is "out to get them". And in their mind, that justifies not just disagreeing with people, but either whining about everyone who doesn't agree or insisting they're being persecuted by those who disagree (and for some that goes as far as calling people evil tools of Satan, once religion is involved).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't get it either. People need to agree to disagree sometimes. And I have often said "We'll agree to disagree on that". Often the loudest or most argumentative person is the least secure person.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It does not bother me, as I think our differences are what makes the world go round. My husband and I are members of opposite political parties. We banter at times about politics, but we respect each others opinions. Maybe sometimes people may feel threatend by others that believe differently or they think that their way of life is threatened. Maybe it's just that they are afraid of people who think differently because of their own comfort level with things. It's a good question, but I'm not sure if it has a one size fits all answer.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think that's the cattiness and competitive nature of women in general--that, and there are some women who simply cannot state their arguments clearly--likely because they really don't know why they have certain opinions, but they are more "followers" and were told it's something they should do! And then there are some women who just wake up ready to pick a fight! Not everyone has tact or class or reasonable skills in the art of debating--so they just say mean/nasty things, because they've got nothing else to contribute! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• People on here act like they are in high school. Some people are just that way. My way or I bash you.

Answer by louise2 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• people think the way they think or do things is the only right way bc its what works for them. so many do not understand that people are different and different things work for different people
    sweetpeatexas21

Answer by sweetpeatexas21 at 8:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It is natural for people to want to think that their own way is right. That others might think differently is taken as an insult to their own feelings.

Answer by Bmat at 8:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It happens all the time and I guess most people just have to have it their way. I don't have a problem when someone gives you their point but when they have to try and prove it's the only way then we have a proble, Some things are just hot button issues like politics, b-feeding and abortion. People just get passionate about the way they see things. Still many go overboard
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'm with ya on this one. I don't get it either and unfortunately I have done this in the past. Something I can honestly say I'm ashamed of.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• also, abortion vs not getting one, adoption and keeping the child...
    No matter what I think I'm right over you, and vise versa... It's the way of life! I'd say we just need to deal, aka smile and forget about what the negative thoughts are...
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 8:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2010