Anyone else not into spending a ton of money for back to school clothes?

I just don't see the point. Maybe it's because we live in Texas and it's still hot here when school starts back up again, but I really don't see the point in spending all sorts of money on new clothes before school starts back up again. I usually have to buy new stuff when the weather starts to turn a bit, but at the rate kids grow I won't even come close to buying stuff for fall during the summer. DD seems to grow at an amazing rate and I am always underestimating what size she will be in a couple of months.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in

• I don't see any reason to buy a bunch of new clothes for school if your child has plenty of appropriate ones. I think the origins of getting new school clothes is from when people really only bought new clothes once or twice a year and so the children needed new clothes that fit, plus is some places the weather is changing right as school starts. I'm in Arizona, so I completely understand about it still being really hot!

If you do need to get some new clothes, hit the clearance racks. If I'm looking for something and it's not urgent, I will drop by the stores I like weekly and just run by the clearance racks to see if they've got what I'm looking for. It only takes a couple of minutes and I've saved tons of money.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I buy most of my kids "back to school" clothes during the July 4 sales - summer stuff because I live in NC and they start back in late August. I don't spend a lot of money, but I make sure that they have 3-4 new outfits to start the first week off with. Most of my money on their clothes in spent when the weather starts to turn colder in late Oct/early Nov, but even then I look for incredible sales (like the Old Navy $10 kids jeans sales they had last fall/winter)

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Another reason why I love having boys--they don;t care what they're wearing--no peer pressure to look "cute, hip, stylish!" If I didn't tell my boys to change their underwear they probably wouldn't! LOL :o)

But like the previous poster...I shop year round--I like to think of myself as a "outlet diva." I LOVE being able to locates amazing deals on the stuff my children need! But I usually just "freshen up" clothing pieces as they wear out, become hopelessly stained, faded, torn, holey, or too small.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'm gonna let the kids go naked this year. LOL
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 8:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I was going to but, they aren't wearing uniforms this year so, I don't have to buy new ones!!! My parents are buying my daughters new clothes because she starts K this year and that is their tradition. I am slowing getting my 2 boys clothes.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have to, this is my daughters frist year of school and its a uniform school and I don't have a washer and dryer so I need at least one to two week of uniforms plus new shoe. My pocket book going to be so empty by the start of the school year
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i'm not spending a lot this year. i'm going to get some shirts, tights and leggings. then i'm going to make the girls some skirts because tht is what they want.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No...I don't see a reason just to buy new clothes for your kids just to go back to school. If that's the only time every year they get new clothes then fine, but the excuse that your going back to school it dumb.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Bc it's mostly t-shirts and jeans, we will go out in August to pick up a few new prs and some new t's, but we are buying new clothes all yr for our still growing, putting holes into knees, 9 yr old boy...LOL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I usually buy off of clearance racks all year long and if I can find something that I can buy off of clearance for a different season, it's a crap-shoot if it will fit them. If it is just a little big, then I can deal with that. I just hate when I buy something and they grow out of it before they get to wear it. It doesn't happen with DS so much, but DD has been growing like a weed. I know that there will be some things I will want to get before they go back to school, like new socks, some leggings or pants and stuff. The dress code isn't terribly strict, but they don't allow tank tops that have small straps (I think they have to be three fingers wide at the narrowest part of the strap). I just don't see that they need so much because they can wear their summer stuff well into the fall. Once the weather starts to turn I need to do some shopping. I just miss out on the tax holiday.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

Next question in
Freaking Out

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
When would I ovulate?