Is there such a thing as a "white lie"?

Is a lie ever okay? For example, someone gives you a baby outfit that is not so cute, yet you say, "Oh this is so cute! I love it!", lol?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, there is such a thing as a white lie, and yes they are OK. There's no point in hurting someone's feelings if a small lie will prevent the hurt. To say how cute an outfit is that you don't really like is actually saying I appreciate so much that you spent the money and the time and thought to get this for me.

Answer by Bmat at 10:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think white lies are okay. If we all go around being 100% honest day in and day out, this world would be an awfully negative place. "What do you think of my hair, i just got it done?" "It looks awful" "Does this outfit look okay on me?" "No, it makes you look 20 pounds heavier and sorta jaundiced" It's less about the lie and more about saving the feelings of the person you are talking to, especially if they are a friend or someone you care about. Or, you know, your boss at work, when he asks you if you like his new idea in that tone of voice that says "You'd better love it", even if you think it's dumb as rocks.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 10:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Are you lying or are you being polite? It may be splitting hairs, but being polite is important. That little nicety isn't to help you, but to keep from hurting someone. Now, when you lie and it only helps you. Well, then, we have a problem

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes, if telling the truth hurts worse than lying about it, I think it is ok. But just for situations like you mentioned.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Lol! I think a lie is a lie but....sometime you have to do what you have to do :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't say that, I say, "wow! wherever did you find that!" or something similar.

I do tell small lies occasionally, but never if I think something or someone looks nice...

so please don't ask me if you look fat, unless you really want to know.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• A lie is a lie no matter how you look at it. But yes I do the same thing I try not to lie to anyone. I do sometimes not tell the whole truth just a partial truth. Like when the hubby says "Where have you been?"And you say here, here, and here. Bc you don't want to say Here then you just leave that part out. That way you are not telling a lie just not the whole truth.
    mistym31

Answer by mistym31 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The reason we call these kinds of lies "white lies," is because the color white is associated with innocence and purity--you know, "no harm, no foul?!"

I don't think telling someone you like something when you really don't is lying or being deceitful, I think it's being cordial, gracious, and appreciative. I think those who blurt out things like "what were you thinking?" or "that ____ is ugly/stupid/tacky" etc., in response to a gift or someone's generosity, are the people who could use more tact and class--and learn to bite their tongue.

I also think situations like getting the guest of honor to a surprise party warrants a "white lie!" :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• a lie is a lie, no matter how small it's still a lie.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I would take the outfit back and buy one you like, and if you're ever asked about it, just simply say it didn't fit Dd and you took it back...
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 10:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2010