my DD is 2 and has started getting really upset in the car if we do not drive down certain roads

and when we go for walks she gets very upset if we do not take a certain route...
as i type this i am trying to think of any other quirky behaviors... she likes to be covered a certain way at nap and bed time ... i am sure this is all normal but i am a little worried because she is adopted and her bio mom has some mental and learning disabilities and my DD has delayed speech and some cognitive delays... we do see a speech therapist and i have mentioned this and she seems to not take my worries seriously... my DD has come along way in a short time with her speech and cognitive learning and she is a very smart little girl and has a excellent memory and like i said before this is all probably normal but with her history i am a little concerned.... the education specialist we see is on vacation for a month... so i have not been able to talk to her about this... and we live overseas so we have limited medical options

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This might not be the same thing, but my son (2 also) gets mad when we don't go a certain way because he wants to go to things that are that way (like the park..) and then on the way home he will get upset as we get on familiar roads because he doesn't want to go home. Maybe you are reading too much into it.. I am not sure..I would definitely talk to the specialist, but at the same time I wouldn't get too worried over just that. Good Luck!
    willswifey

Answer by willswifey at 10:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• A friend of mine has a three year old who gets mad if you don't take the roads that she wants to take. It's just something they prefer. It's the same as children who prefer certain colors, or like to touch everything, or taste everything. It's just their way of being individual. It's unlikely that your daughter has the same disabilities that her mother had. If you're really worried then get her tested, but I think she's normal.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My first born was/is very observant and likes things to stay the same. He like to know what to expect and not have surprises. I don't know if it would help, but with him, I find he responds better if I talk about what we are doing/ where we are going/ what I expect of him BEFORE it happens. He seems to handle the change much better. Hope that is helpful!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I understand your worry mom. I am guessing you are worried about autism? That was the first thing I thought of, my dd is mildly autistic. Ritualistic behaviors can be part of autism as well as speech issues and cognitive delays.

But dont get overworried too soon. Sometimes these things are just kid things. You never know :)

My dd doesnt have any ritualtistic behaviors, but she does have speech delays. But she has been reading since she was 2. And I mean reading as well or better than my 6.5 year old. Can read an adult magazine easily.

So watch her, but dont panic :) She is still a little young for a specialist to decide all the way what or IF their is an issue :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Your daughter sounds like how my boys were at her age--they both have high functioning autism.

http://www.autismtoday.com/autism_14_signs.htm

It sounds like you are on top of things, and giving her the therapies she needs to maximize her growth and development! :o) That's really all you can do, but since you're starting so young with her, I'm sure you'll see some GREAT things from her in the coming months and years!  My boys are 8 and 6 and they are incredibly bright, have high IQ's, are loving and personable, and excellent atheltes and incredibly well coordinated, and I have no doubt WILL someday lead independent and productive lives, and be contributing members of society!   It takes a TON of work and even more patience--but itf you take things one day at a time, it will all pay off! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• she may have Aspergers syndrome or autism. My grandson has Aspergers he is very smart and he did the same thing.
    On C.M there are groups for this check them out. They will be able to help a little more.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• it sounds like ocd to me, but not sure how old that manifests. I would look into another specialist thats available or wait it out until yours returns...good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The speech therapist should be taking your concerns seriously. Is she private, or someone provided through the county? In addition to ritualistic behaviors there would be other "red flags" for autism and if they are there, she should be seeing them. If you trust her judgement then you could just wait. If it were my daughter (my 12 year old has autism) I would contact Early Intervention and have a complete developmental evaluation just to rule anything else out.
    Don't stress about it - some kids are just comforted by routine and it doesn't mean anything, but an evaluation would help to either settle those nagging fears, or give you a diagnosis so you can add the structure, therapy, etc that will help her reach her full potential.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• A portion of mu kids have always preffered routines and anything that went off of that routine would end up in a battle, and one of those things was going a way they were not familiar with, or not having a particular blanket, or sock were the line in them didn't sit just right on their toes, all of these things fall within the realm of normal.

Would I watch and be cautious...sure. But that is all I would do at this stage.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2010