low-lying plactenta?!

At my 20 week scan the doctor informed me that I have a low-lying placenta. It's about 2cm away from the cervix. He didn't seem concerned at all because he said in most cases it's just going to move up. He did say I may notice bleeding and if I do to call. I guess I'm a little bit concerned because I will be attempting a VBAC, but like I said he didn't seem worried. Have any of you ladies ever been told you have/had a low-lying placenta? What was your experience? Did it move out of the way?

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 10:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Think of a uterus as a balloon, without air in it before you are pregnant. Then, implantation can occur any place in there. If the embryo implants down near the "lips" of the balloon, that is going to be a low-lying placenta. Then imagine the balloon getting blown up slowly. The spot where the placenta (implantation) is attached looks like it is "moving' further away from those lips....the placenta can not actually move....the uterus just stretches until the placenta "looks" further away from the cervix. I think each doc needs to decide what is "too low" for a vaginal birth, but in my experience as an L&D nurse, as long as the placenta is NOT covering any part of the cervix, you should be good to go....I hope that analogy makes sense. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I had this, and it took a while for mine to move, but it did and I had a normal vaginal birth :)

I did have several weeks of mild to moderate spotting.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Oh and it was sort of nice b/c I got several extra ultrasounds of my girl all the way through to check my placenta :) So there are perks. lol.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Thanks for your answer! I am looking forward to the extra ultrasounds!! :) I can't wait to see her again. How many weeks were you when it moved? How far away does it have to be for a vaginal birth do you know? Sorry, I'm just a little bit worried ;)
    mamie2shoes

Comment by mamie2shoes (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I had that :) it moved away by my 28th week and is not an issue so no more ultrasounds for us! but the peace of mind is nice, I hear it is quite common
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 1:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Kjrn is right about the uterus growing and it just moves up with it....i was pretty far along...I was 33 or 34 weeks before they gave me an all clear.

I was starting to get more and more worried b/c it was getting closer to the end of my pregnancy and was still low...but FINALLY they told me it was out of the way :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I had this at 20 weeks and the doc said I was fine, witched docs due to moving and had an ultrasound at 27 wks and it was half way covering my cervix...i was put on bedrest for this and a short cervix, placenta did move after about a month of bedrest but im still on it considering my cervix. Did you ask him about bedrest? Are they going to do a follow up ultrasound? BTW I never had any bleeding or severe cramping...
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 4:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010