What is your opinion of this? -- French youths protest over higher retirement age, for 60 to 62

PARIS – The front lines of the latest French protest against raising the retirement age revealed a remarkable sight: Not the slightest wrinkle, not a single gray hair.

Brandishing "Save our Pensions!" banners, students who haven't even entered the job market yet are already worried about what happens when they leave it.

Welcome to France, where workers' rights are so deeply entwined into the culture that even teenagers are unsettled about plans to raise the retirement age from 60 to 62, which is still among the lowest in Europe. The reform protest brought nearly a million people out into the streets across the country Thursday.

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 10:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's ridiculous. That's what it is.

Under our standards. I guess, I'd be pretty mad, too, if I'd expected that my whole life. But this is why I'm so against entitlements to begin with. When they run out, people get violent.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• This is the same mentality that is being promoted in the US by the far left wing that runs our gov now. They of course are not the authors but certainly contributing some large chapters. You can see the sense of entitlement just ready through many of the posts on CM.

I work for a French owned company and I have heard many times from them why they have their operations here. This type of thing is exactly why. They have very strong workers rights and many French owned companies can not afford to do operate there. Most are out of country.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• This is what we will be like in a few years. France is a country of entitled citizens. We see bits and pieces of this now. An extreme example is the entitled attitude of people who aren't even citizens (illegal immigrants vs AZ). It is up to us more than ever to keep the entitlements from growing.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have an acquaintance who is very much the entitled type. She has no kids, but knows how yours should be raised. Whatever she wants, her inlaws should be catering to her, not their son. If she volunteers (without being asked) to do someone a favor, it should be entirely on her terms. She's also obsessed with France. Everything is "better" there - the health care, the taxes, the food, the people, even the dog crap. Coincidence?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Also, I really don't know why those COLLEGE STUDENTS are protesting the use of their tax money. They go to school for free, courtesy of tax money. They haven't actually paid any in yet. And if they want the banks and rich to have to pay for it - why are they going to college? Won't they eventually make a degreed salary and keep it in a bank?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• France also does NOT have a birth rate that will support an aging population. When these young people reach retirement age, there has to be enough workers to pay into the system. If there isn't, there will be no money to pay for retirement. Which is why France is raising the limit.

***
    And we barely have the taxpayer base to support all of our entitlement programs, NOW...let alone in 20+ years! But, a decent percentage of our population doesn't seem to think that should be anyone's concern!

Just live in the moment, forget/re-write the past and don't worry about the future!! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think it is great that they are interested in their future.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If you knew you have to take care of yourself you will plan for your future.

entitlements make youth LAZY!! they will party instead of working and planing for their future.

There is always going to be people who need help, that should be a small group not the dam country.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The cycle is unsustainable.
    _____

I don't disagree with any of your points mancosmomma; I think though there aren't that many people over there saying things to this younger generation in this way. One or two politicians saying it won't have much impact if their parents and grandparents are saying well in my day blah blah blah...

During the whole healthcare debate; I watched something where they were interviewing a group of friends in France; some French and some US ex-pats; and they all spoke the same as if this were totally reasonable to expect yet no one mentioned payment or the future growth of the country etc...it's as though somewhere they think the gov't has Jack & the Beanstalk's Golden Goose just crapping out eggs they can melt down and spend??
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I understand it and wish American youth were more active.

Seeing more active youth would be great, with one glaring problem. They'd need to do a MUCH better job of educating themselves than these kids protesting in France have done. Read the whole article - their proposed solution is keep retirement at 60 and raise taxes on the rich and on banks. They obviously don't have the first clue about economics or business, or they would see why that would actually hurt them more by the time they're 60. Honestly, much of the "active youth" in the US have the same problem. Better they be apathetic until they can be bothered to educate themselves than make their voices heard when their only motivation is laziness and herd mentality.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010