Did you protest in the streets when the government raised Social Security benefits from 65 to 67?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 11:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No but I remember even at that age (jr high) my friends and I had already become cynical enough to not expect it to be there by the time we're old enough anyway.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Lori, your facts suggest that our government leaders are working under a calculated statistical average that Soc. Security may never have to be paid to a whole crap load of people. They are sneaky little representatives now aren't they.

***

And yet, so many people have been duped into believing that our government, and current administration, actually cares about our health!! 

wink mini

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• *gah* that happened in 1983 ... I was a bit too young to even know what SS was at the time!

I do have a big problem with them wanting to raise it from 67 up to 72 however. Yes there are SOME people who are healthy enough to work that long; but a good number of the population will not be.

I feel like this affects much more than just SS but has ripples into every other industry and how they approach retirement options etc...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Ha Ha NO! the more you work the more you have to put away.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• This is an interesting article! Social Security is RACIST! :o)

http://old.nationalreview.com/lowry/lowry200501040926.asp

"The average life expectancy of a black male is roughly 68.6. The retirement age of Social Security is set under current law to eventually rise to 67. You do the math — this cannot be a good deal.

According to Social Security expert David John of the Heritage Foundation, one-fifth of white males die between the ages of 50 and 70. But one-third of black males die between those ages. If you die before you reach the age of 62, you have no chance of collecting benefits, and if you die shortly thereafter, you will not recoup the payroll taxes you paid into the system."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• - That's not right they just want to fix it so we want get any money.

That happened 20 years ago...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i retired at age 64...I will be receiving social security benefits and medicare for possibly another 30 years...my family lives long lives...noneties and some over 100.
    I don't see what this 'age 'thing is. You officially receive full benefits at age 65.
    The retirement age was raised to 67. That's a whole different issue.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• They ARE trying to fix it now. It is just too little, too late to have a positive effect for all the people who will be eligible for it. Too bad they couldn't think things through when they started it, and NOT have paid out to a whole generation who put NOTHING IN!!! WHAT did they think would happen? A magic genie would give the gov't 3 wishes, and they could fund SS that way?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• LOL! I was a kid so I didin't protest. I don't remember my Mom protesting either. I don't expect to receive it myself. If it is around I expect my dh and I will probably opt out like his parents have. His parents were good savers and don't depend upon SS or Medicare.

I find the statistical info interesting. I wouldn't say it is "racist" but I would say it is on purpose and calculated.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2010