do you think a christians should go to church when they are the only one in their area with their beliefs?

i know the bible says to fellowship with others. but would that really mean going to a church that don't believe the same way as you, or would that mean just socialing with believers even if it's on the internet?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 11:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly I don't think going to a literal church is important. I think its more important to just have that fellowship however you can find it. I know what you mean about not wanting to go to a church when you don't believe exactly the same - that's part of why I don't go to church much anymore. I just feel like a liar when I'm there, because I don't believe the same way most of the others do, and it feels like being there is saying that I do. Not that I'm saying anyone is a liar, lol. Its just how it makes me feel sometimes.

So I think its more important just to take time and put it into your faith - reading, study, discussion with people, etc. The fellowship doesn't have to be within the walls of a church, IMO. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I guess the individual would have to decide for themselves. There are lots of different beliefs, we can't believe the exact same way as everyone because we all have our own beliefs that will differ with others, you have to decide how much of a difference is okay with you.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You can find a church that has similar beliefs. Or you can do as many others have done and create your own church. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. It wouldn't even be the thousandth time it's happened!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• that's a toughie. are you sure there are no other churches in your area with your belief? it is important to go to church, you need a pastor. Jesus said the sheep need a Shepard, in this context he means the church is the sheep and the pastor is the Shepard. without the Shepard, the sheep can get lost. but if you mingle with those that don't believe in the same thing, then it will be easier for them to pull you to their belief than you bring them toward your own. kind of like if you're standing on a chair and trying to help someone to stand up there with you, it's easier for them to pull you down than you pull them up. i hope that makes sense.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If I had to travel a great distance to go to Church. I would. There is no way I would go to one that is closer just for convenance.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• have you been to all the churches?
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• What bandgeek said. I haven't found a church yet that wants me.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No one can tell you how to believe. And there for I go to church if I feel it's correct. I have talked online with people, but I feel when I am asked for money and the priest is driving a volvo then I know where my money is going. I can't even afford a volvo.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 11:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My friend's congregation split right down the middle when she was younger. The reasons were more social/political than doctrine, and as a result, all the younger people went to the new church, and all the older ones stayed. Rather than start massive drama with her mother, friend opted to stay at the old one (her mother can't drive so it was that or convince her mother to switch). As a result she spends quite a bit of time miserable while she's there. She has the constant knowledge that she's surrounded by people with whom she has some very fundamental differences of opinion, and it even creeps into the sermons. I don't see what good you get out of going to church just for the sake of saying you've gone to church when it makes you miserable.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• try a non-denominational (this translates to christian) or Unitarian Universalist church - these are filled with people who fellowship and worship together and can respect different beliefts.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2010